How to link laptop with desktop mac

Reaction score
I'm a web designer with my own business and I have been using a MacBook Pro for nearly 3 years now, and would now like to progress to a desktop. The reason I went for a laptop initially is because I'm occassionally with clients and need something portable. My dilemma is that I still need this portability, but I want to work on a widescreen desktop when I'm at my office, as it'd be much easier to design on and better for posture and eyes etc.
But I need a way to link together my laptop with my desktop, so that if I need to work at a client's workplace, then I can just unplug and go. Obviously the problems arise because of my email (set up on Outlook on my laptop) and all the hundreds of files that I'll need both on my laptop and desktop.
There must be a solution that means I can unplug and just go when needs be?
Have been to the Apple Store, but didn't really get a good answer...

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There are several ways to share/sync files between two machines. However, from what you've described I'd suggest the best solution would be to get an external mouse, keyboard and screen that you connect your MBP to in the office then just take the MBP with you to clients etc.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes I had considered that, but my laptop is also starting to run a bit slow, so I'd prefer if I didn't have to continue to rely on it's speed etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
From what you've described I'd get a screen etc and a new MBP tbh.

But if you want to go down the syncing route there are cloud based solutions like Dropbox, Google Drive, Sky drive etc. Or you could opt for a network sync and use a tool like SyncMate or similar to manage shared files and folders between two devices.

Much of it depends on the volume and type of data that needs to be kept in sync.

OP
L
Reaction score
I have about 70GB of files I'd need to sync you see, so dropbox et al probably wouldn't be the best solution, and some of my files are quite large as I work with graphic design programmes.

Is there a way, perhaps, to link the screens of an iMac and MBP together so you can freely move files between at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure quite what you mean by link screens but I can tell you how I'd sync bulk data like that.

You'll need a network in the office. I.E. you two Macs need to be connected to the same router by cable or wireless, doesn't matter which.
You can use an application like Sync Folders on the Mac App Store to constantly watch (a) selected folder(s) and whenever the two Macs are connected to the network the folders will be synced.

So the first sync where it copies the bulk of the data from one machine to another will take a little while but after that it just syncs changes.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ooo that sounds like it might do the trick.

So initially if I use the migration assistant to copy over all my files and programmes, then I could use Sync Folders for when I need to switch over to my laptop and back again perhaps...

Does this also work with emails I have in Outlook do you know?

Would I need to buy a router or can I just use my internet hub (Sky)? - Sorry..I'm still learning when it comes to all the techie bits!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your Sky Hub is a router and will do the trick no problem.

Yes, migration assistant to your new Mac would do the job to start with.

Outlook should sync emails via your email provider anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. Good luck :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.