Latest OS Update

Reaction score
Last week while loading latest update for OX for Mt. Lion, I received a message that my HD is corrupt. Can I save it? How can I retrieve what I had on it? Can it be repaired?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I am assuming that with " my HD " you mean the disk you are booting OS X from.
Does the machine still boot into OS X ? If yes, the first thing I would do is make a backup of your important data.
You can also try an boot into the recovery partition and run disk utility from there and verify the disk to see what is actually wrong.
Let's do this as the first step and let us know, we can then see what is needed next.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
OP
W
Reaction score
Maverick OS X Update

McBie, Thanks for the info, but I don't know how to use it. My Mac opens to Install OS X. It tells me to go to Utilities, but I can only get to this startup page. If I try to quit the installer I'm told to choose as startup disk. I don't know what to do? Any suggestions.
I'm new to Mac Forum. What is the Maverick OS X?

OP
W
Reaction score
pdendlewitch, thanks for responding. I hope mine does follow your computer's path. What is the Maverick OSX? I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm new to the Forum.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mavericks is the newest version of OS X (10.9). In order to repair your hard drive do this:

Reboot the machine and hold down your Command and R keys at the same time as soon as you hear the startup sound. Keep holding them until you get the spinning gear. That should boot you into recovery. From recovery, choose Utilities. The select Disk Utility and further select Verify the hard drive. It may show errors, allow it to repair the errors. If the errors can not be repaired, it will tell you. Let us know the results.

OP
W
Reaction score
Problems with HD when loading Maverick

Thanks for responding chscag. [Restarted and got to Disk First aid--.didn't offer to repair but allowed the verify disk. Reported the volume Mac OS X Base System is OK.

Do I go to restore or will that be a problem?

OP
W
Reaction score
Did a First aid on my Hitachi HTSS
Received message that the partition map appears to be OK
What should I do next?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, don't go to restore. If the hard drive checks out OK from Disk Utility First Aid, you should be able to install the latest update of Mountain Lion. Boot back to your normal desktop and try once more to install the update for Mountain Lion. If you still get an error message, post back.

OP
W
Reaction score
To chscag
My machine is working great. I am already running Mountain Lion; 10.8.5.
I guess I'll just stay away from Maverick.

Thank you for all of your help and advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.