iPad problem which Apple cannot fix

Reaction score
I have an iPad 1 running iOS 4.2.1.

On this iPad are photos which iPhotos on my MacBook does not read and so I cannot 'release' them from the iPAD to the MacBook.

The original MacBook which was synched to the iPad has died so I cannot go back to that option.

Apps to help me download photos from the iPad will not work as they require iOS higher than 4.3 or above. If I upgrade my iPad iOS Apple cannot guarantee that my photos will not be deleted during the upgrade process.

Photo capture does not read the photos either.

Apple suggested that I email each photo to myself from the iPad. There are 5,000 photos, so this is completely un-realistic. Another Apple suggestion was to use a PC - which I will do - but having bought a new MacBook to try to solve my problem this was not what I wanted to hear.

I found a piece of demo software called iExplorer which reads more photos than iPhoto alone - but it does not read all the photos on the iPad. I am reluctant to spend money on the full version as I am almost sure that the full version will not read more photos than the free demo version.

I am stuck in a very complex trap here within Apple hardware and software upgrades. Apple cannot help me any further, although I will be writing to them as this situation is just unacceptable.

Any help or suggestions would be most welcome. Many Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I found a piece of demo software called iExplorer which reads more photos than iPhoto alone - but it does not read all the photos on the iPad. I am reluctant to spend money on the full version as I am almost sure that the full version will not read more photos than the free demo version.

Why are you almost sure the full version will not read more photos than the free demo version? The demo version is limited for a reason and that is so you buy the full version. Anyway, it's up to you. Either spend the $34.99 or possibly lose your photos.

Also not a very good strategy placing 5000 photos on your iPad???

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When I upgraded to IOS 5 I did not loose a thing. Before you upgrade you would do a back up and you can restore if they do get zapped. I have never lost a thing with an IOS upgrade. BTW I also have a 1st Gen iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.