iPad Air Setup suggestions

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Went to the AT&T store Friday got get my iPhone 4 checked out for some reception issues. Fully expected to be changing to a new iPhone. Instead I ended up with an iPad Air which should arrive in a few days, My wife will be getting thy first gen iPad to use mainly as a Kindle replacement. I'd like some thoughts on best solutions to the following situation.

Her iPhone 3GS synchs with a Gateway and her iTunes library is stored there. She has her own iTunes account. The phone needs to synch with that setup due to a few game authenticators we would rather not replace.

The old iPad will be tied is tied to my iTunes account and we would like to keep things that way even when connected to her Gateway. I have a few paid apps that she might like to use without repurchasing. These are tied to my iTunes account and the content is stored on a network drive.

Suggestions on the best way to achieve the following:

1 Synching her iPhone changes don't destroy the authenticators already in place.
2. She would probably prefer not to look at the entire content of the network drive as it has a ton of music and other stuff she is not interested in.
3. Use apps for the old iPad (my iTunes account) without repurchasing.

The best solution for this probably gets a mention on the video chat tomorrow.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If the old iPad will be hers, I'd just let her sync to her computer - which will wipe all your info - get it set up the way she wants it.

As for apps - having apps on a single device from 2 IDs is a pitr. You'd just sign out of the App Store with her account and sign in with yours and download the apps. Updates would be a pain, since she'd have to remember which apps were with which ID when it asked to authenticate or end up trying both IDs.

Have ours set up so that we both use the same ID for all purchased content and I've been using iCloud sync with that ID.
Only with Mavericks has she had to get her own ID since there is no more direct sync of contacts and calendar from your Mac to your iDevice.
So hers still has the primary ID set up with the App store/iTunes and the 2nd with iCloud.

Not sure what your concern is about the iPhone - syncing the iPad will not effect what she does with the iPhone. She will need to start looking at all the tabs whenever she syncs if they're not set up basically the same. I've had up to 4 devices syncing on one computer - all set up differently.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No you've hit the nail on the head. Shed wanted independent confirmation that my suspicions were correct. She has seen enough of my DIY solutions explode in my face to be a tad skeptical.:Oops: Gee I wonder why.:)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I think her primary issue might be if she now wants to play some of the games starting from the same point she's at on the phone on the newly set up iPad. Don't really play any games to know about syncing that game data - am only guessing she'll need one of those 3rd party apps that permits viewing the file system to move/copy those game folders from one to the other.

Depending on the size of the iTunes library and space available on the 2 devices, she may need to start using the 'only sync checked items' option if she's not already or start using the manually manage option.

Seems I was always syncing devices quite some time apart (and for 2 people's preferences, my wife has had iOS since the iPhone 1 and has 'never' synced her own device) - so I never touched that sync button until I had verified every tab to make sure it was correct for that particular device. Never took the time to really verify that changing preferences on one tab, when connecting the next device, that tab's preferences were set to the last change made or "always" reverted to the last change made for the particular device.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If we pointed the device to the network drive library size would be an issue. She points her iTunes to a separate library on her Gateway and will. Probably keep doing that.

Saving game data isn't really a big issue. The only gamrs she plays onthe phone directly are things like Bejeweled. The big issue was preserving some account authentications for things lik WoW. we were thinking through not repurchasing apps I had already purchased. In reality though there are very few she will be interested in so we will probably just repurchase them under her account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.