Freezing keyboard on a MacBookPro

Reaction score
Okay, so i've been having some issues with my built in keyboard. When i use adobe illustrator, or any other adobe products, after a while my keyboard freezes up. sometimes for a long time, sometimes it loosens up again, other times i have to restart the macbook to get my keyboard back. i've been managing well just avoiding my keyboard and restarting every now and again, but this has started to happen the instant i start working with an adobe program. i can't find what's causing it. I'm a total noob at this stuff and i need help, because naturally, this can't go on like this (i'm a design student, i need these programs all the time)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD not retina xD
What year MBP?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What version OS X?
What version illustrator?
What size is your hard drive and how much free space is left on it?
How much RAM does the machine have?

Keyboard locking up or the application is locking up?
e.g. keyboard shortcuts don't work, but the trackpad and the application are still functioning normally and are usable?

OP
T
Reaction score
osx 10.6.8

happened on both cs6 and cs5 products.
500 gb hard drive
180 gb available
4 gb of ram, however free ram goes down pretty fast.

the application doesn't lock up it's usually only the alphanumerical keys, but recently the spacebar, backspace and buttons like that have started freezing up aswell.
when i open keyboard viewer i can still type using my trackpad, but if i'd press "a" for example it doesn't show up on the keyboard viewer.

trackpad always works fine

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't see anything there that would cause it - most often the issue is liquid has been spilled into at some point in the past - has that happened with this machine?

Although, if it only happens with Adobe apps and nothing else, might try their forums and see if anyone else is reporting this issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Is there a possibility that you use your Adobe software so extensively compared to other applications that an intermittent keyboard fault could appear to be only Adobe related?

If keyboard viewer shows a defective key that would have nothing to do with an Adobe issue, more likely a keyboard/top case fault.

OP
T
Reaction score
that might actually be possible.
But it only seems to happen when i work with adobe's programs.

i will take a look at the adobe forums too

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.