Mavericks - have to "Force Quit" certain programs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
Downloaded Mavericks - had a lot of stuff to fix. I usually have only 1 or 2 programs open at a time.
On the dock I would use my Apple Magic Mouse and left click and hold it on an icon on the dock and a little list of options would open right by the icon on the dock - one option being "quit". Since going to Mavericks when I try to close Adobe Reader or Microsoft Excel (of course the version for Macs) it won't close. I click and hold again on an icon, especially Excel, and I get the option "Force Quit", and that will close Excel. This happens even if Excel is open but all Excel spreadsheets have been saved and closed. Any ideas on what's going on? Thx!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Downloaded Mavericks - had a lot of stuff to fix. I usually have only 1 or 2 programs open at a time.
On the dock I would use my Apple Magic Mouse and left click and hold it on an icon on the dock and a little list of options would open right by the icon on the dock - one option being "quit". Since going to Mavericks when I try to close Adobe Reader or Microsoft Excel (of course the version for Macs) it won't close. I click and hold again on an icon, especially Excel, and I get the option "Force Quit", and that will close Excel. This happens even if Excel is open but all Excel spreadsheets have been saved and closed. Any ideas on what's going on? Thx!
Wow, tarheel I didn't know about holding the left click on an app in the dock. You have taught me a new trick.
As for your problem; what did you mean about "had a lot of stuff to fix."
What computer are you using? Did you check your HD with Disk Utility before installing Mavericks and did you repair Permissions.
How much RAM do you have and lastly what speed is your processor.
All of this info is in Apple Menu > About this Mac.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.