won't read disc made in dvd recorder

Reaction score
Hi. I apologise if my search parameters missed anything obvious but there is little that is obvious to me about these things. I transferred a home movie (analogue tape, Hi 8) onto a dvd, using a dvd recorder. I then tried to transfer that dvd recording - which plays back ok on the original machine - to my Imac for safekeeping... Neither my imac nor pc recognise any content.

When I try to record it onto another dvd recorder (usual TV set up) it says the dvd is locked/protected and won't record. If you can restrain your abuse and suggest a way round it I'd be most grateful. I tried googling but I obviously don't have the right vocabulary for a useful keyword. I also do not understand the categories listed below...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't be of too much help... but my best guess here is that your DVD recorder is recording in a format that is not compatible with an ordinary DVD player. It may be that you chose an incompatible format. Perhaps the manual that came with it can provide some answers?

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi chscag
Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking along the same lines. I've plumbed the old machine back in line with the TV. Can't remember what make it is (oh, it's all the way downstairs) but I'll look for a manual to see if I can ascertain what format it records in. It can do dvd to VHS & vice versa, but the other machine doesn't record or even know there's vhs happening either:) Will I be rueing the day we sold the betamax?

If I can just find the format there's probably loads of converters and if (when) I do I'll post the details.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.