MacBook Pro clicking problems

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro about 5 yrs old
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo
OS X 10.8.2

Track pad will move cursor but is either gets stuck clicked or will not click. I plugged in a USB mouse and it did the same thing. Tried some restarts, safe mode, and option r command p. no luck. A couple time it would start to work correctly for a minute or so.
Any help here is greatly appreciated!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
If, as likely, your MBP is a pre unibody model, eject the battery and test again. It's a common problem with older MBP's that the battery can swell and push on the underside of the trackpad causing trackpad clicker issues.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I have tried that. No luck. I'm guessing that its not the trackpad seeing that a USB mouse is doing the same thing. Though by guessing i mean guessing. I have also updated osx still with no luck. After a safe re boot and a ton of clicks I can get it to work for a couple minutes, then back to the same problem. I'm starting to think it is some type of hardware issue that probably will be too costly to fix on such an old machine.
Again thanks for the reply, any other help is greatly appreciated!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Other possibilities are the trackpad clicker intermittently jamming on. Does it appear to randomly select desktop items when moving the trackpad pointer about? Another cause could be the flex cable that links the trackpad, keyboard and power switch to the logic board. That could be isolated by removing the top case, lifting up the flex cable connector, plugging in a USB mouse and keyboard, then powering on via the logic board power on contacts. If the problem goes, you require a replacement flex cable, if not you have a more serious problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.