Folder with question mark on startup

Reaction score
Yesterday I was running my computer on windows through bootcamp. I got the blue screen of death and i thought restarting my laptop would fix it. The laptop wouldn't boot up and it gave me a screen with a flashing folder with question mark in it. Is there anyway I can fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
In order to help other members help you, it would be good if you could tell us what hardware you have and what version of OS X you are running.
A flashing question mark during boot indicates that the OS can no longer find the OS files to load ... usually not a good sign.... but let's take it one step at a time.
Maybe it is not all that bad.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I'm actually running a dual drive setup in my macbook with a SSD as the startup boot. I'm running a 2 GHz i7 MacBook pro on OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you still boot through Boot Camp? If so, try that then go into the control panel that controls startup (don't remember what it's called). Sometimes the computer loses track of this setting.

If the OS X partition is there select it and reboot. If it's not there let us know and we can go from there.

OP
H
Reaction score
The drive is undetectable by my MacBook. There's not option to select it if I boot up holding option. I just see my boot SSD and Recovery.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you boot to the recovery partition are you able to see the drive using Disk Utility? If so try repairing the disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.