Cannot Download or Install Mavericks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2008 Unibody, 8GB Ram, 10.6.8.
Hi;

After watching the Apple Keynote I decided to Install Mavericks however, for some reason it will not download?!?!?!

I click on the Free Upgrade Mavericks App in the App Store and a Mavericks icon appeared in my Doc however first off it said it was downloading but never finished and now it just sits there saying waiting?

How do I fix this problem??

My WiFi may have dropped out during the download (An old problem seems to have reappeared iPad is fine but Macbook keeps dropping, prob need to change channels again).

I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 15 Inch

System Spec:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B06
SMC Version (system): 1.33f8
Serial Number (system): W8848AQF1G0
Hardware UUID: 9B38353E-BE15-5DCE-A1ED-9BF4EC8DE1C6
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Does sound like a connection issue, try again remember its about a 5GB package so quit a large. It may pay to remove your network from the MBP, reboot and then reinstall it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is there any way that you can hard wire the connection until the download is complete? When the download stops are you able to access other internet sites? Sometimes the download stops due to a problem on the server end.

OP
JonnyAlpha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there any way that you can hard wire the connection until the download is complete? When the download stops are you able to access other internet sites? Sometimes the download stops due to a problem on the server end.

I did just that yesterday, I switched off Air Port and connected via Ethernet, the download started fine and the blue download progress bar on the Maverick Icon in the dock seemed to slowly increase in size suggesting that the download was OK then after a hour or so a message appeared saying that the download app could not be downloaded (or something to that effect).

My Internet connection (Deutches Telkom) is pretty poor (averages between 0.5Mbps to 1Mbps) and I have been streamining a lot of video lately - maybe they have throttled my connection and are somehow stopping large downloads?? Is there anyway of downloading this update without using the App Store?? Or is it available on a Dual DVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature block :)
Hello JonnyAlpha,

I was just about to suggest the ethernet option but you said you have already tried this. In which case, have you considered going to a friends place to download the file?
I have downloaded and installed Mavericks on my mid 2009 Macbook Pro 13" without a problem. The download took me an hour. The install on it's own was about 30 minutes. Either way if the issue is with your connection, I would try it at a friends place or maybe at star bucks?
Have a coffee and let it download in the mean time.

I hope this helps,

regards,

Robin

OP
JonnyAlpha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK - I seem to have been having some trouble with my Router that has been affecting WiFi, I re-booted the router and it seems to have resolved the WiFi problems. I know that this should not have anything to do with the download via Ethernet but I am now going to try the download one more time and see how it goes.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The router issues may have affected the wired connection as well though it's unusual. I experienced this just last night.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.