Using iPhone 5s Overseas

Reaction score
Hi guys. I live in the U.S. and have never had a smartphone. My ISP is AT&T, so I'll probably use that for my phone, to have it all on the same bill. I want a 5s model that works well both in the States and in China. What do I need to know in my situation, concerning GSM, LTE, SIM cards, locked/unlocked phones and all that? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An AT&T iPhone should work OK in China but you'll need a sim card from a provider in China when you get there. As far as LTE is concerned, I don't know if it's available in China. There are various schemes of what we call LTE, so it depends on what they're using (if anything) there.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm starting to read that Verizon is better for overseas (i.e. non-U.S.) travel b/c it can accept more frequencies and comes unlocked. Can anyone here share their thoughts/experiences concerning that matter?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, the best GSM iPhone for overseas in the one being sold by T-Mobile since it comes unlocked. Verizon iPhones use CDMA which is not compatible with GSM. China uses GSM not CDMA.

OP
A
Reaction score
I thought that the Verizon 5s uses CDMA in the U.S. but allows for GSM when outside of the U.S. Also, I thought that the Verizon phone comes unlocked, allowing its users to pop in a sim card when overseas and thus being a world phone. All the while, being generally more reliable than a T-Moble 5s while being in the States. Not true?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's true that Verizon has better coverage in the US than T-Mobile or AT&T. I don't know if Verizon's phones can be used overseas as GSM and if they are unlocked. I do know if you use a Verizon iPhone in the US and you're on contract, that phone is locked. You'll have to ask Verizon about how to use their phone in China. But I can tell you this... is that T-Mobile is the only carrier who will sell you an unlocked iPhone 5s or 5c without a contract. Both AT&T and Verizon will require a two year contract. Of course you can always buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple and use it where ever you like.

Here in the Dallas Fort Worth area where I live, T-Mobile has great coverage and is as reliable as Verizon or AT&T. However, once you're in the boon docks, the Verizon coverage is much better. My iPad 3 uses Verizon LTE cellular and I get a signal most anywhere.

Reaction score
Just get an unlock version and when you fly to china, get a sim card from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.