MacBook pro is locked up

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro will not turn on. Battery side lights do not illuminate when the small button is pressed. Charger light does not illuminate when connected to charger. Took the unit to an authorized service center and they checked it out, told me it had locked-up and that they had unblocked it and it was fine. Brought it home and the next day same problem. What is the keyboard sequence to unblock?

OP
H
Reaction score
Keyboard sequence for fourced start

Any suggestions as to the keyboard sequence to fource start when the on button does not activate the MacBook Pro?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no keyboard sequence to startup your MacBook Pro if the start button is not working. If the start switch itself is defective, you can start by disassembling the machine and shorting out two points.

I would suggest you try another MagSafe Charger Adapter to see if that works as yours may be defective. Also your battery could be gone. And you didn't tell us which year and model MacBook Pro you have?

OP
H
Reaction score
My MacBook Pro will not turn on. Battery side lights do not illuminate when the small button is pressed. Charger light does not illuminate when connected to charger. Took the unit to an authorized service center and they checked it out, told me it had locked-up and that they had unblocked it and it was fine. Brought it home and the next day same problem. What is the keyboard sequence to unblock?

Chschg, many thanks for you input - as there is no sequence to force start I will take the machine back to the service center. The intermittent fault is now worse. Internal fan comes on at high rate, charger LEDs do not illuminate but the external charger LED does and changes from green to amber from time to time it also goes off.

Last night it did operate and at one point I tried to reboot it from the main control panel, the unit went off but did not (nor does it now) come back on. The reason for rebooting was the fan came on at a high level and the screen charge indicator instead of showing a time remaining in the icon showe the letter X.

The intermittment faults are tough to diagnois. the MACBoook Pro is a model A1278, 2 years old and has never been dropped or knocked about.

Once again thanks for your input, Howard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Definitely take it back to the service center. It sounds like a logic board problem that may or may not be intermittent. Hopefully your MacBook Pro is still covered by warranty just in case the logic board would need to be changed out.

Reaction score
There is no keyboard sequence to startup your MacBook Pro if the start button is not working. If the start switch itself is defective, you can start by disassembling the machine and shorting out two points.

I would suggest you try another MagSafe Charger Adapter to see if that works as yours may be defective. Also your battery could be gone. And you didn't tell us which year and model MacBook Pro you have?

1. if the OP got that exact response from an "authorized" service center, he needs to find another shop to deal with, as he was misled.. There is no "unblocking" to be done on a MBP.

2. It could well be that the battery is bad, or the AC adaptor is bad (and then quite likley could've killed the battery).. try somebody else's magsafe (85w for 15"/17" and 60w for 13").. If a different adaptor works, you need to replace yours.

3. There are several kbd sequences which could help.

SMC reset: SHIFT+Control+Option+powerbutton... press this 2xs....
if it won't boot, theere's a more severe issue.

Theres' also an SMC bypass mode, which I can't remember off the top of my head. it essentially tells the SMC to boot and assume the machine needs all fans at full speed.. this will allow it to run (if there's no other major issue), but the fans will all scream..

I **THINK** SMC bypass is to remove AC, hold the power button down WHILE PLUGGING IN, and then releasing and pressing power button again.. you might google for that......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.