How to set pre-defined keys...

Reaction score
Hi there,

Before it seems like I'm asking to setup my own keyboard shortcuts for actions, which I can do in system preferences, hear me out...

So my new keyboard has extra keys with different symbols on (ie. play, pause, fast forward, volume up and down). Even though the functions work, but on different keys, I no longer have my valued iTunes play button. There is a key for it, but it doesn't work. It would be great if I could use some sort of software to change this, so the custom keys do what they say they do. I have tried pressing the keys in the keyboard shortcut panel in preferences, but of course, all it does it what they're defined to do, like volume up.

Sooo, long story short, can I change my 'special extra' keys to do what they are supposed to using native/third party software/other solutions.

Hopefully this makes sense!
Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro 13, 2001 Apple Cube, 2002 Apple Lampshade, 1990 Apple Macintosh LCII and more
Sounds like, you are using a non Apple keyboard for your Apple computer. There is no reference, to what computer or keyboard you are using. Assuming, it is not an Apple keyboard, make sure it is compatible with OSx. If so, there should be an install disk or software from the manufacturer. Then you should be able to make adjustments.
Still, check in "System Preferences" > Keyboard > Change keyboard type

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.