Macbook Pro Dual Monitor Setup?

Reaction score
I am looking to connect two separate monitors to my macbook pro (mid-2012). I want the monitors to not display the same thing (mirror) so I can have different applications on different displays at the same time. What is an affordable way to achieve this?Can i use both a dvi via thunderbolt and a usb 3.0 to dvi like this:
Kensington Universal USB 3.0 Multi-Display Adapter (K33974AM) at the same time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
I had a LeNovo notebook run a monitor through a USB port. Performance ranged from barely passable to terrible. Granted it was USB 2, but I wouldn't run a display over USB.

Reaction score
Depending on your definition of 'affordable' you could use a Matrox DualHead2Go.

Reaction score
Depending on your definition of 'affordable' you could use a Matrox DualHead2Go.

i've got several DualHeads (and a Triple).. They range from "expensive" to "outrageous" (although considering i've been willing to pay the fiscal rape prices of a new Mac, I shouldn't complain)...

I also currently have a system that's capable of THunderbolt.. If your system will do THunderbolt, you can get multiple displaysthru that, and it's a good thing!!

OP
A
Reaction score
I tried using my thunderbolt with a vga adapter and splitter to connect two vga monitors, but it wouldn't recognize that there were two displays, just one. There is also dvi ports on both monitors but I heard that the same process with the dvi connections would have the same result.

Reaction score
I tried using my thunderbolt with a vga adapter and splitter to connect two vga monitors, but it wouldn't recognize that there were two displays, just one. There is also dvi ports on both monitors but I heard that the same process with the dvi connections would have the same result.

dualhead sees them as ONE display--and it stretches across..

i JUST saw a thundrebolt adaptor yesterday that has an HDMI AND 2 thunderbolt AND 3 USB3.0 ports... now THERE'S a way you can do it (a thunderbolt-to-DVI or VGA, AND an hdmi-VGA), so you can get 3 or more displays on it!!

OP
A
Reaction score
i JUST saw a thundrebolt adaptor yesterday that has an HDMI AND 2 thunderbolt AND 3 USB3.0 ports... now THERE'S a way you can do it (a thunderbolt-to-DVI or VGA, AND an hdmi-VGA), so you can get 3 or more displays on it!![/QUOTE]

That sounds perfect thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.