Next Generation IPod Touch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 800mhz 384mb SDRAM, OSX 10.4.11
Hi. I've done some brain busting searches on the web to find out if there will be a 6th generation IPod touch. So far, conflicting results on whether Apple is releasing a new pocket rocket any time soon or not. Apples current IPod touch seems stunning, considering it's dual core processing power and mere multiplied graphical enhancements over the previous generation Touch. But when are the new goods coming???

Even wikipedia has let out gas of a 6th generation IPOD touch to be released this year. When it comes to small devices and performance, I typically would expect to be left with long lasting product. That's exactly what comes to mind when I think of Apple.

There would be no complaints from me, owning the current generation Touch. But buying the newest thing on the market right before it's predecessors release, leaves you feeling like there's water in your left ear. Or is that just me after that bath. hmm

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi. I've done some brain busting searches on the web to find out if there will be a 6th generation IPod touch.

The newest iPod Touch was just released 51 days ago back in September. Gonna be a while before the next iPod Touch model is released.;)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 800mhz 384mb SDRAM, OSX 10.4.11
The newest iPod Touch was just released 51 days ago back in September. Gonna be a while before the next iPod Touch model is released.;)

- Nick

Indeed. I'll be looking forward to getting one. :Blushing:

Reaction score
I am confused! Is generation 5 the most recent ipod touch? Is there a new model of gen 5? Googling keeps indicating that gen 5 was released Sept/Oct 2012. (Over a year ago.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I am confused! Is generation 5 the most recent ipod touch? Is there a new model of gen 5? Googling keeps indicating that gen 5 was released Sept/Oct 2012. (Over a year ago.)

It was and yes it was about Oct 2012. I have one. The 5th is the most current generation and is still very young. Expect the 6th gen to come out about 3rd qtr of 2014 at earliest.

Now the cool rumor is that Apple is working on curved screens for their upcoming devices. If this is true it could be very neat..

C

chas_m

I don't see the iPod Touch getting a refresh anytime soon. Probably next year as Exodist indicated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
Personally, the iPod Touch has been one of the apple products that frustrates me. Apple doesn't like supporting them for iOS updates as much as equivalent generation iphones (2 iOS revs per device as opposed to 3 iOS revs per iPhone for the last couple generations) and are usually about a generation behind the current iPhone for CPU/performance as well. I don't see the 5th Gen iPod Touch doing any better considering what's under the hood or future generations being different from the precedent.

I think a used iPhone has more usability, longevity and value than a new iPod Touch in most cases.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.