Do you have a Western Digital EHDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Hi Everybody . . .
I am so sure everybody did their compatibility homework before upgrading to OS10.9 Mavericks. I am still doing mine...I haven't made the switch yet...it looks like that worked out well for me. I received the following email from WD since I use a WD FW800 ehdd for my Time Machine and CCC. I realize these two should be on separate ehdd's. Anyway, here goes:

As a valued WD customer we want to make you aware of new reports of Western Digital and other external HDD products experiencing data loss when updating to Apple's OS X Mavericks (10.9). WD is urgently investigating these reports and the possible connection to the WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare software applications. Until the issue is understood and the cause identified, WD strongly urges our customers to uninstall these software applications before updating to OS X Mavericks (10.9), or delay upgrading. If you have already upgraded to Mavericks, WD recommends that you remove these applications and restart your computer.

My desire is to save someone a lot of headache and grief if you use a WD ehdd with your Mac. I never use the SmartWare apps for the ehdd. I hope this helps somebody.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If you formatted your external when you first got it, those apps were removed by Disk Utility. That's how I did it when I got my WD external drive. I use it for TM backups and SuperDuper! clone with my mid-2008 MBP. I upgraded it to Mavericks last Saturday and was able to perform TM backups immediately after moving to Mavericks. You should have no problem if those apps are not on your drive.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
+1 on the above comment

I have numerous WD and Seagate external HDs, but NEVER use the bundled software with any of them, and have had zero problems with Mavericks.

My first step with a new HD is to reformat it Mac OS which eliminates the compatibility issue on WD and Seagate supplied APPs.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Yes ...I also did do as you both have mentioned. I completely wiped, formatted, and partitioned my WD ehdd when new...not using any of WD's apps/software.
I know there are a lot of WD ehdd users and wanted to forewarn them to avoid possibly losing any data. They may not have registered their product therefore they would not received the email from WD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.