What is TechTool Pro doing the background?

Reaction score
I know TechTool Pro can recover files, test performance and stuff like that but it seems to do a lot of processing in the background and take writes a lot of stuff to disk. So, in English, what's it actually doing and is it really worth it. I backup my disk very regularly and from past experience when things go wrong with disks, they really go wrong and it's generally back to backup time. So basically, can someone tell me why I should keep it running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I have no clue what TechTool pro does in the background and since you don't know either, you might as well remove it. Why run an application if you don't know what the purpose is or even know that you need it or not.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have to agree with member McBie. If something's not broken why run Tech Tool Pro as it's just using memory and likely slowing things down? Make sure you remove it from your startup items or login items so that it does not start up automatically when you start your machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
TTP should not be running unless set up as chscag advises. It sits dormant like other Utilities until you activate it to do its thing.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks guys

That was my feeling as well. I only installed it to see if it could do anything with a broken disk I had. I've got a horrid feeling though that it's going to be quite hard to uninstall! I hate software like this. I thought I'd get round the problem if I could find out it was doing something useful but I can't find anything that say's what it's actually doing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have not run TTP regularly in a while. Got the new version cheap recently but haven't configured it yet. I suspect that it is updating information about the directory structure of mounted disks. I'll check as soon as I can and let you know.

Previous versions did not generate a lot of unnecessary activity though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.