• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD and or files do not show up in Mac

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I don't know exactly how to title the problem I am finding so I'll try to explain it as best as possible. I am using a late 2009 i-mac with Mountain Lion.

I have been working with dvd-rs containing video footage that I am editing and burning onto dvd. Most of the time its a piece of cake. I right click on the dvd that shows up on my desktop and open the vob files with mpeg streamclip for editing purposes. Lately a few dvd-rs I have been given have shown up on the desktop but when I right click on the dvd, the files for the dvd are not showing up (but I do know for a fact they are on there). And in a rare occasion the dvd isn't showing up on the desktop at all.

My solutions have been to either use an older model dvd burner in which case the dvd may sometimes show to which I use a program to make an iso of the disc and then open it. I have also used my girlfriend's older mac laptop which has snow leopard which not only shows the disc but the files as well when right clicked no problem. Her computer has crapped out so I no longer have that option. I have done many google searches which suggest using disc utility but none of the suggestions have gotten me any were.

Has this happened to anyone before? i am wondering what it is that could be possibly causing the problem.

thanks for your time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
V
Reaction score
hey..thanks for the response..the internal has gone south in that i can't burn with it anymore..But this is a brand new LG Blu Ray burner I'm using it in. I've tried the discs in that one, the internal one and an older model Sony burner. The disc shows up when when you right click on it there are no files. Its very strange..

I may need a program like isobuster that works for mac, but I'm still wondering if there is a setting in the Mac that needs to be changed tnow that I have upgraded to Mountain Lion.

OP
V
Reaction score
to expound a little further..when I open up toast, I can copy the disc no problem but I can't make an iso or toast image as it shows there is no data on the disc with either one of those options..

OP
V
Reaction score
so what I've realized is that the permissions for this disc are showing that I have no access..no idea why that would be..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.