user name

Reaction score
i just bought my first mac and i think I've set myself up as the admin but a lot of my files have the old guys name in the address.....ex: user/program/his name not mine/music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK. That's to be expect if it's a (presumably) second hand machine.

You haven't actually added a question. What is it you'd like to know?

Can you also let us know which Mac it and which version of OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There are ways to rename the home folder but if I were you I'd use this guide to create a 10.9 install drive and do a clean OS install so that you negate any issues in the future. That way it'll also mean everything will be the way you want it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Problem with making a USB thumb drive is you have to have an Apple ID account and have downloaded Mavericks OS X.9. Unlike other, older operating systems, including Snow Leopard OS X.6 and earlier, ownership is always with the Apple ID holder and does not transfer like DVD system install discs did.

Mavericks OS X.9 is free, so open up an Apple ID by selecting App Store and download the 5GB odd download, burn to USB thumb drive and do a clean install and enter your details and password.

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm sure that a clean install would be the best idea but frankly i lack the confidence.......i assume that if i did something wrong i could lose a lot of my files.....any less risky suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't take this the wrong way but renaming the home folder requires a lot of confidence in what your doing.
Your changing ownership permissions from the root of the system and if not followed to the letter or if unexpected issues arise (who knows what's happened on a pre owned machine) you can end with a very unstable or non-functional system.
Instructions here

Even once the home folder has been changed you'll still have apps and accounts in the previous owners name. You can't change the ownership/Apple ID on applications the previous owner has purchased on the App Store.

I would strongly suggest a clean install. I can provide instructions if required.

However, whichever way you go you must have a backup. Whether that's a full disk image, a time machine backup or just copying your irreplaceable data off the machine manually. I'd recommend a regular backup anyway but making any kind of wholesale system changes like this it's essential. I'd also suggest have an OSX 9 USB installer is good practice too.

Sorry to sound so preachy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.