exFAT best for OSX and Windows 7?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz | Mac Pro 5,1 Xeon Quad Core 2.8GHz
Hi, reconfiguring my boot camp set up. I'm going to be running OSX on 1 HDD and Win 7 on another.

Getting a 3rd internal drive for media to be accessed on both OSX ML and Windows 7. I'm thinking of making the file system exFAT because it seems like articles I'm finding say it's good for access between OSX and Win.

Any options on exFAT? It seems like there aren't any limitations on it as far as file size, but I don't know much about its stability across operating systems and the whole Microsoft licensing bit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would personally not use exFAT or any iteration of the FAT file system. The FAT file system is a non jounaled file system and is prone to errors. Use NTFS instead which is a journaled file system which provides for better stability and recovery of lost data. You will of course need a driver to access NTFS from OS X. We recommend Paragon NTFS which you can download from Paragon Software: LINK It's $19.95.

OP
markusaurileus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ended up formatting the drive as NTFS as recommended, not exFAT. I was thinking about Paragon's NTFS for Mac, but I think all I actually need is to have a stable drive readable in OSX, not necessarily writeable. And I've read a few things about the Paragon software, saying that it can mess with the drive…

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't know what you read about Paragon NTFS, but everyone here who is using it says it's stable and causes no problems whatsoever. There are several other schemes that are able to write to NTFS which do cause problems; those we do not recommend. Paragon NTFS is the only driver we recommend. However, it's up to you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
ditto

If you don't need write access, no need for it.
While I'm sure there must be something out there somewhere on the web, it is the only NTFS driver which I seriously can't remember seeing one negative report. I've also been using it since their first beta.

OP
markusaurileus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I did come across a handful of good posts about Paragon's software, but some of the 'reviews' on cnet said it had given them some problems.

If it's a recommendation by mac forums though, I'll consider it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As noted, if you don't need write access, stick with OS X's driver which is read-only but works perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.