Calendar sync conundrum after Mavericks upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Upgraded to Mavericks last week and like many of the refinements. However, I find that Syncmate, which I used for syncing calendar and contacts with my Samsung phone and tablet, is not compatible with iCal 7. In trying to sync, all existing calendar entries on the phone and tablet have been wiped! See: http://blog.sync-mac.com

I tried setting up sync with Google calendar but the old system of nominating an account and the web doing the business is also not compatible with iCal 7.

Apparently you now have to sync via iCloud but here's the problem: I get a message saying 'account limit reached'. I appear to have 2 computers registered which would be the original MacBook Pro plus the 'new' one which is actually the same notebook which had a new logic board fitted earlier this year. If I deauthorise both of these (you can't choose just one), will I get to play with iCloud again?

Any answers out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I don't know syncmate at all. Perhaps an email to the developer re: Mavericks compatibility?
But Google calendar and contacts sync work fine under Mavericks.
Google Sync

I use it daily and it's worked on Mountain Lion and still does under Mavericks.

RE: iCloud
When do you get the account limit message? You can use multiple devices on one iCloud account (i have my Mac, iPhone and iPad) that's not a problem. But I wonder if you're out of space?

OP
badshoehabit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Thanks for your reply.

The link I included shows the state of play with Syncmate - See: SyncMate Team blog

I have google calendar on the list under accounts - no sign of any syncing with my desktop iCal dates. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I have barely used iCloud so it cannot be full. Message comes up when I try to sign in.

I downloaded the google calendar app for my phone and tablet. Syncing on tablet but not phone. Lost in space...

'Live' screenshots of both calendars on Mac

Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 14.11.53.png

Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 14.17.04.png

OP
badshoehabit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
google calendar - empty

Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 14.16.44.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Have you run through the Calendar sync info I linked to?
Remove you existing google settings and start afresh.

Your iCloud issue normally means the maximum of 3 free iCloud accounts have been created for that machine. Your should, however, still be able to use one of those accounts. That aside iCloud is a red herring as it is for syncing Apple devices. Google calendar sync is the way forward.

OP
badshoehabit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Had followed those instructions on the link already but have re-done it - still no sync on Macbook.

What i was hoping was that iCal would replicate in the google calendar then I could access the google calendar from tab/phone.

Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 15.17.17.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's exactly what happens, being using it for ages. I'll have another think about what could be different.

Do you still have syncmate installed?

OP
badshoehabit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do still have Syncmate but I can delete and re-install in the future if they manage to sort out compatibility. It is a download, not a web-based sync - you manually sync to/from Mac.

Thanks again for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I'd start by uninstalling syncmate.
Does your phone and google calendar sync ok?

OP
badshoehabit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uninstalled, redid google calendar with googlemail instead of gmail. Rebooted - a big fat nowt!

LATER Put two new events in iCal and they have replicated on the phone, but not the tablet. The tablet has all previously entered future events, the phone none of these.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So does the phone syncoth ways via google calendar to iCal ok now?

OP
badshoehabit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. Tried entering further events in iCal - no replication and one of the others which had gone on the phone disappeared. Nothing synced to the tablet.

Reaction score
syncing contacts and calendar in mavericks and iPhone OS 8

I have been suffering ever since i upgraded to Mavericks.
The cloud simply never world properly and overloads me with duplicates.
I have tried sync mate and my contacts do not sync.

Then today out of the blue I can sync my iPhone 5s and macbook pro operating on Mavericks directly thru iTunes again. Either with USB or wirelesslessly.

The only thing I did was upgrade the iPhone to 8.0 and added the app Direct Sync to my phone for .99

Frankly i do not know if it has anything to do with the app or not.

First I backed up my contacts on the macbook pro
Then i copied or synced the iPhone contacts to the computer
Then i ran address book cleaner to rid the computer contacts of duplicates. i do not think it is a function of the sync, more that I have been manually adding to both slightly differently
Then I copied the computer back to the iPhone.
I turned off the cloud for contacts on the phone.
It was already off on the computer

Later I turned on the calendar sync in the iTunes and did that.

It's all working again.

I will not upgrade anything too quickly in the future

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.