ftp web hosts and Tiger ?

B

bfx

hi

New here - and hope to soon be new to Macs.

I'm fed up with Windoze for web use so I'm really close to buying a Mac.

But before doing that I need to find a web host that allows ftp ul/dl to my site.

Eiiher Google isn't much help or there aren't many around.

Anyone know of a list of Mac-savvy domain hosts or have any reccomendations they've had experience with?

I do a lot anims so free/low storage/low bandwith sites may not work but I'll be glad to check them out.

Thanks

bfx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
As far as I know all hosts allow ul/dl for your site.. you can't have a site unless you ul/dl :) I have a hosting company, I still do not have a site up yet, but we're a year old now and have 99.9% uptime like most hosts out there. If you are interested and want to know our packages and costs, send me a PM and Ill get them to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I have a site with www.dreamhost.com and I think they are great, they have a package with 20gb of storage and 1tb of bandwith. They are kind of expensive, but a really good site.

OP
B

bfx

Thanks for the responses.

A but more bacvkground obwhy I asked the question.

There's a guy in Europe that sometimes shows up at a graphics forum I belong to. He says there are some web hosts there that allow only ftp or http ul/dl from a specific operating system. Something to do with secutity descriptors.

But I always thought ftp wasn't operating system specific. Long as you have an ftp client it doesn't matter. Give or take - some ftp clients work better in some situations than others.

Which brings up a related question. Does OS X Tiger come with an ftp client? Or is one even needed per se.

I have a sparsely populated site that allows drag and drop ftp both weays under Wibdows (if you don't mind being exposed to seberal different new virii every week).

So I've been using a Linux box and the gFTP that it comes with for ftp. It's a bit erratic though as site server sometimes balks and otherwise acts up. Server admins say the ftp client on their end 'prefers' Windows ftp but they have no data on OSX Tiger yet. But that in general OS X Panther clients have some problems because of the way the way their server is set up.

Thanks

bfx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's just strange.. my hosting servers does not disapprove or approve of any specific operating system. FTP is ftp, so if you have a good ftp program you'll have a better experience. Sure OS X usually has nicer looking programs, but that's on the client side.. the server side we don't care what you are connecting to us with :)

OS X has a download ftp ability, it'll open up a server/disk on your desktop and you can drag files from it to your desktop, but you can't upload files. I use Transmit for my ftp client.. a great program :)

OP
B

bfx

Thanks again.

That's what I thought also - ftp is ftp. The only difference might be in how good a particular ftp client is written.

bfx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
bfx said:
Does OS X Tiger come with an ftp client?

The ftp client on OS X is used via the Terminal. You just type "ftp sitename.com" and the site will prompt for your username and password. There is also sftp which is secure ftp.

Sounds like you might prefer a GUI tool. A few exists for OS X.

Which ever you go for, if you have the option to use sftp, then do it. The normal ftp program sends your username and password and data in the clear. Potentially a cracker could pick that up and wreck havoc on your site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot about the terminal ftp, only the gui way that I mentioned above and of course the 3rd party ftp clients that I also mentioned.. good call xstep :) but not pleasant to use :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.