How do I "Save As" to sub-folders I want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Got a new iMac, and I can't figure out how to "save as" files to nested folders, so I can keep everything organized.

I especially need to be able to do this to be able to add to the files and folder structure I copied over from the last computer.

It looks like I can only "save as" files to top level locations (like Desktop), then I need to go into Finder and drag files to where I really want them to be. Please tell me that OS-X is not this difficult to work with!

It looks like I can "save as" to some "recent" folder locations, but I need to figure out how to add some recent folder locations to that list so I can use that shortcut.

Or is there a switch to turn off "idiot mode" and allow me the freedom to be able to see and choose to navigate nested folders to be able to "save as" files to the actual locations I want to put them?

Please HELP!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
OS X is not difficult .
What application are you using that you want to do a " Save As " from ?
In most dialog boxes, next to the file name on the right hand side, there is a small triangle pointing down.
Click that and it will show you a ' finder ' like window where you can browse to any folder you want and save it there.

Cheers ... McBie

M

MacInWin

In some applications, you can even create a new folder from that dialog box. But as McBie asked, from what application are you try to "save as?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
In most dialog boxes, next to the file name on the right hand side, there is a small triangle pointing down.
Click that and it will show you a ' finder ' like window where you can browse to any folder you want and save it there.

This is one of those things that is not very intuitive in OS X. Why in the world did that triangle get placed next to the name of the file you're saving instead of next to the location you're saving it to???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I am sure this is on Tim Cook's TO DO list somewhere :)

Cheers ... McBie

M

MacInWin

This is one of those things that is not very intuitive in OS X. Why in the world did that triangle get placed next to the name of the file you're saving instead of next to the location you're saving it to???
Why does Microsoft think I should click on "Start" to shut down my computer? Why does General Motors think I need two keys, one for the doors and a different one for ignition? Why does McDonalds put whipped cream on my milkshake by default? It's just the way the company has decided to do things. Not right, not wrong, just what they decided.

You still didn't say what application, and it doesn't really matter now, but what you will find is reasonably consistent across OSX applications is that the little "twisty" triangle is used to open options, menus, folders, etc. So if you see that little twisty triangle, try clicking on it to see what it opens. Other applications have dual triangles to show that a menu is available, some menus have options for additional items.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Why does Microsoft think I should click on "Start" to shut down my computer? Why does General Motors think I need two keys, one for the doors and a different one for ignition? Why does McDonalds put whipped cream on my milkshake by default? It's just the way the company has decided to do things. Not right, not wrong, just what they decided.

Really? GM is still providing two keys? Does the ignition key have the remote locking/unlocking thing built into it like "everybody else" is doing?

I disagree a little bit on the location of the disclosure triangle in the dialog box. It just makes more sense to put something that reveals more locations next to the box showing the present location than next to the box showing the name of the file. I wouldn't say one is right and one is wrong. One is certainly more logical, not the way Apple chose.

M

MacInWin

Last time I went to GM it was still two keys. May have changed, it's been a while.

It really doesn't matter where the triangle is, as long as it's consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.