MacBook Air OSX Mavericks battery discharging quickly

Reaction score
I just reloaded Mavericks on my MacBook Air hoping this would help to improve my battery life. The battery is still going down quickly... not the battery life I had when running Mountain Lion. Any ideas or suggestions

My Macbook Air is a mid 2012 vintage, I7 Processor, 8gb memory with 200gb disk available (Flash)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD not retina xD
What year? What processor? How much RAM? How much free space on the Hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
If you run Mavericks, you can launch Activity Monitor and look at which apps/processes are using the most energy ( battery power ) .
There may be one specific process that is burning so much CPU cycles that it is eating into your battery power.
It may still be a bad battery, but have a look at Activity Monitor first..

Cheers ... McBie

OP
S
Reaction score
My Macbook Air is a mid 2012 vintage, I7 Processor, 8gb memory with 200gb disk available (Flash)

Is the battery savings supposed to be immediate or does it take time to realize battery improvement??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Battery savings are immediate when you run Mavericks.
What is Activity Monitor indicating ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
S
Reaction score
I understand that battery life has a direct correlation to the number and type of applications running, but what would be an acceptable amount of time between charges??

OP
S
Reaction score
Safari has the largest "Average Energy Impact of 11.5"... the others rank from .46 to .01

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
It is almost impossible to define a baseline for battery lifetime unless you are in a laboratory environment with the correct measuring tools.
How much battery time are getting now with Mavericks ?
Also, if you have Adobe flash installed and are watching Flash based content in Safari, you can expect a hit on battery life.

Cheers ... McBie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When I was running Mountain Lion I was getting 9-11 hours of battery life

As "McBie" mentions...like a laboratory experiment...unless you are 100% doing the exact same things for the exact same amount of time as you were when you were running Mountain Lion on your MBA...it is very very very difficult to make battery life comparisons (total runtime on a single battery charge).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Performing similar tasks should result in better battery life in Mavericks. Other factors may be screen brightness, state of charge (calibration), etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.