internet problems when Time Capsule Backs up

Reaction score
I have a non wifi netgear modem, connected to a previous generation time capsule (2TB)

My iMac 27' running OS 10.9 connects via wifi to the time capsule.

Often, but not always, when the time capsule backup starts I loose the internet connection to the iMac. The last 3 lights relating to ISP; internet; Server first go yellow and then red. After some time they sometimes go green again or I just reboot the iMac. (See attached picture)

There must be a conflict somewhere, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 4.10.44 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
As a suggestion, why don't you go with Ethernet for the lot? Your link will be faster and more reliable and backups will be faster too.

When backup is running, it may be using the lion's share of the wireless bandwidth for this purpose, hence the loss in connectivity (but this is a guess). Is your Netgear connected to the AP's WAN port?

OP
B
Reaction score
Cant go via Ethernet as iMac in different room, surely the time capsule can cope with a backup and not loose the internet connection.

Does anyone else have the same problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MacBook Air (13") w/ max specs
Something similar happened to me at my previous residence. One computer, when backing up to the Time Capsule, appeared to hog the bandwidth to the point of interfering with the computer's Internet access and the neighboring Mac's World of Warcraft online experience. The fault was traced to a badly configured router (AT&T's, not mine).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.