Is there any way to restore a previous backup?

Reaction score
Hi, I just restored/backed-up my iPhone, however it has now wiped all my photos and messages (probably my fault). Itunes then synced my iPhone and everything is lost, is there any way to retrieve the previous backup. I know of the Application Support/MobileSync/Backup but i cannot find that pathway on my mac. Any tips would be massively appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's the path:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Note that if you're using Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks, your user library is hidden by default.

Which version of OS X are you using? Unhiding the user library in Lion and Mountain Lion is different than that of Mavericks.

OP
U
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm running OS X Lion 10.7.5, so library is hidden. Is there any way to find this pathway on Lion?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes. Here's how to unhide your user library in Lion. This will permanently unhide it rather than the temporary way:

Open your terminal application: Applications, Utilities, Terminal.app

type the following in the Terminal box and press enter:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

After that, just type the word Exit

And close the Terminal application. Your user library will magically appear under your user name.

OP
U
Reaction score
Sorry to keep asking, but I can't seem to get the old backup into iTunes, do you know how to do this also?

OP
U
Reaction score
The particular backup i am trying to recover doesn't have an 'info.plist' file, i understand this is pretty essential, any tips?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think you can move the old backup into iTunes again. If you've recovered all your photos and messages and they're back on your iPhone, you should be able to make a new backup which would include them. However, make sure you keep that old backup somewhere where it will be safe and not overwritten.

OP
U
Reaction score
Yeah i can't get them back onto my phone, I was wondering if you knew how to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
iExplorer can open iTunes backups and lets you copy files from it if that's what you're after

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.