Mac Pro Startup Issues

kvl

Reaction score
Hi
My earlier 2008 Mac Pro is having funny startup issues. It is a dual boot system with both Avid Media Composer and Final Cut Pro. The issues are on the Avid boot drive. When starting (even after designating it to be the startup disc in user prefs) I get a grey screen. Try starting again holding option and I can then select the Avid drive to boot and it works. When I restart it boots up fine. It is just on starting up that I get this issue.

I've tried doing clean reinstall of Lion. Also ran hardware test which checked out fine. Disk utilities says the drive is fine.

My Final Cut pro boot disc works fine from startup.

Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My earlier 2008 Mac Pro is having funny startup issues. It is a dual boot system with both Avid Media Composer and Final Cut Pro.

Any ideas?

This is really not the proper way to describe a "dual-boot" computer to other folks. To properly describe a dual-boot system...it should be referred to by what OS is installed on each bootable partition...or each bootable hard drive.

For example...a dual boot Mac Pro could be:

- dual boot with two OS X drives (different OS X versions)
- dual boot with OS X on one bootable drive...and Windows installed on another.

So the questions back to you are (so we can understand things better):

- Is this dual-boot system setup on separate hard drives...or the same hard drive with more than one partition?
- What OS setups are we talking about (2 OS X installs...or an OS X install and a Windows install)?
- What versions are the OS's?

* Nick

OP
K

kvl

Reaction score
Separate drives with their own OSX version. Final Cut has an older version, I believe Tiger can't remember exactly sorry. Avid is on Lion OS 10.7.5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.