Need help with Time Machine setup

Reaction score
I just bought a macbook pro today (my first mac), and have a few questions regarding time machine. I heard that it is best to use an external drive. But I'd imagine it would be a pain to constantly get up and grab my external HD, and plug it into my mac everyday. Is there a way to do this over my network? Can I just grab a western digital external drive and connect it to my router for automatic backups? How would I connect my external drive to my routers ethernet port? I don't think I want the Time Capsule because I don't need another router, and it is a bit expensive. And if I have my macbook backing up over my wireless network every hour, would that slow down my internet?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should use an external drive for best results. You do not need to leave it attached to your Mac at all times, however. There are free utilities which will allow you to adjust the interval that Time Machine uses for automatic backups.

Watch the following YouTube video to learn how to use Time Machine with a network drive.

LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.