Best Migration Option, MacBook to MacBook Pro Retina Display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, kids and wife all on MBPs, iPad Pro 12 (I drew the line at iPhone!)
Greetings. Forgive me if this issue has already been discussed though I could not find a search response on point in the past few months. I have a Black MacBook (2006) which I've loved for years, though it's getting tired (currently running Snow Leopard). Just purchased a 13 in. Retina and I'm exploring best practices for data migration. I've typically used Time Machine though more lately have been using CrashPlan on the iMac which sucks the life out of it during heavy back-up operations. I would like to hear everyone/anyone's suggestions for the best way to move my 320G of data. I have a 4 blade Pegasus Promise available though don't believe I could use Time Machine on the device as it's running as a Raid5. Curious as to what compatibility issues I might face moving from Snow Leopard to Mavericks.
Many thanks for any input.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I find using Time Machine to migrate data from an older Mac to a new one to be easy and fairly fool proof. Just follow along....

Make a 100% backup using TM of your old Mac. BEFORE creating an account on your new Mac, (important, do not create an account on the new Mac) attach the TM drive to the new Mac. Turn the new Mac on and it should ask you if you wish to transfer data from another Mac. Reply yes, select Time Machine, click OK. It'll take awhile depending on how much data you have to transfer. But everything will migrate over with some exceptions:

Anything that was coded for PPC can not run in Mavericks since Rosetta is no longer included. (Actually since Lion.) For example, if you have Office 2004 it will not run in Mavericks. Any PPC coded software will have to be updated to Intel only before it will run in Mavericks.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems pretty straight forward and I have had good success with TM in the past despite the warnings against it getting the job done. However, the more I think about it, do I really need a full TM or bootable restore? Wouldn't it be cleaner to reinstall apps and then simply copy the data files over through my Pegasus?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Believe me, I have tried it both ways and it's way easier to use the TM method I described above. Reinstalling apps can be a pain and copying your data files over can also lead to errors. It's up to you of course....

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Understood. I guess the though to a "clean start" on the retina machine is too enticing. That's probably a left over trained response from my Windows days (though clean starting the Black MacBook when I jumped to Snow Leopard was pretty sweet). I suppose I could also create a new account on the retina and then bring over a few of the apps and the data using TM after the fact, right?

By the way, I've been using CrashPlan on the iMac and as I said, it sucks the life out of it during full back-ups (I back-up to both the Cloud and the Promise R4). I'm seeing folks reference Carbon Copy Cloner which I'm considering for the retina and the R4. Any thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm seeing folks reference Carbon Copy Cloner which I'm considering for the retina and the R4. Any thoughts?

I've been using CCC since my days with Leopard and my old White MacBook. I can't tell you how many times it has saved me from total disaster. I wouldn't be without it. I keep two external hard drives on my desk; one for Time Machine and the other for CCC. It's well worth the license fee. Can't say enough good about it. :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I'm reading good things about it, though I'm not sure I would leave all of those backups, and the source, all on the same desk. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.