Windows in virtual machine on Mac suddenly can't detect wireless

Reaction score
I've been running Windows 7 in a virtual machine on my MacBook Pro, which has the Airport Extreme wireless network card, and had been connecting to my Netcomm wireless router without problem.

But suddenly now Windows won't connect to wi-fi, nor detect it, nor give me any option anywhere in the Control Panel that I could use to connect to wi-fi, while the Mac is still connecting just fine.

In Windows, the Wireless Network Connection icon doesn't even appear in Network Connections in the Control Panel.

I've tried downloading AirPort Utility for Windows, but that didn't work. It says AirPort Utility was unable to find any AirPort wireless devices.
And most of the menu options in Airport Utility are grayed out, so I can't use them.

And I'm not sure, but I think AirPort Utility is more geared for use with an AirPort Extreme base station, but I don't have one of them - I'm using a Netcomm router.

I upgraded my Mac operating system to the new OSX Mavericks a couple of days ago, so I wonder if this problem could've been caused by that.

I have seen people have posted in forums asking for a link to a driver for Windows to AirPort Extreme, but haven't seen a useful reply.

I need Windows for my business, because my practice management software is not Mac compatible, and requires internet connectivity through Windows to be able to function.

I'm at my wit's end here, and would really appreciate if someone could please help.

When you reply, please don't assume I have any more than basic knowledge of tech stuff, because I don't. Most of what I know about these issues I only learned today while struggling to find a solution. If you skip any steps in your explanation, you'll probably lose me.

Thank you, and I hope someone can help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, let's start with you answering some questions for us. And by the way, welcome to our forums!

Which virtual machine software are you using? This is important because when updating to Mavericks, that might have impacted on the current VM being used. For example.. VMWare Fusion recommends updating their software to version 6 if you are using Mavericks. Parallels likewise recommends an update although I'm not sure which of theirs is the latest version - I believe 9.0?

Next question: Which MacBook Pro do you have? Give us the year and model.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks chscag!

I'm using VMware Fusion version 5.0.3

and

MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Early 2013

Upgrading to VMWare Fusion version 6 sounds promising, but how confident are you that it would fix the problem?

.... oh, and would I lose Windows and Office on the virtual machine and have to buy them again or upgrade them something?

Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Upgrading to VMWare Fusion version 6 sounds promising, but how confident are you that it would fix the problem?

Frankly, I don't know if it will fix the problem. All I can tell you is that Fusion folks claim you need version 6 if you're running Mavericks. What I would try first - go to the VMWare Fusion user forums and see if they have any advice about the wireless connection.

LINK

oh, and would I lose Windows and Office on the virtual machine and have to buy them again or upgrade them something?

No, you should be able to upgrade without losing anything.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks.

I did the upgrade, and it worked! I can use the wireless again on the virtual machine.

But for some reason, it has now miniaturised all icons and fonts in Windows, which demands that I log off when I try to change the settings to a larger display size, but then is still miniature when I log back on!
That's the next battle.

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly and helping me out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.