Magazine Subscriptions for iBooks and removing old books?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Since iBooks came with Mavericks I been downloading a few books. Mostly free, but free is good. Well anyway, I haven't found any magazine subscriptions. I would so love to get a few, mags get stolen in the mail here and there are not any good book stores in town that have the selection I am accustomed to.
Also, how do you remove a book from iBooks, I can delete them but they still show to be downloadable. I got a few that were not what I was looking for and I really want them really removed.

Thanks,
Joe

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Since iBooks came with Mavericks I been downloading a few books. Mostly free, but free is good. Well anyway, I haven't found any magazine subscriptions. I would so love to get a few, mags get stolen in the mail here and there are not any good book stores in town that have the selection I am accustomed to.
Also, how do you remove a book from iBooks, I can delete them but they still show to be downloadable. I got a few that were not what I was looking for and I really want them really removed.

Thanks,
Joe

I think there is an option to "Hide" the books, but I don't believe you can delete them.

As far as magazines, I use the Zinio APP and subscribe to MacWorld and Popular Photography on it.
Although, I would go directly to the MacWorld site to purchase an electronic subscription, as Zinio's deal isnt nearly as good.

For that matter, if you are already a print subscriber to MacWorld you can convert to digital only, or have access to both.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And, unless they have changed their practices, Zinio will bombard you with unwanted emails. It took me many months and multiple emails after all my subscriptions ran out with them to get them to quit sending me their junk.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And, unless they have changed their practices, Zinio will bombard you with unwanted emails. It took me many months and multiple emails after all my subscriptions ran out with them to get them to quit sending me their junk.

That too . . . ;)

FWIW you can use the News Stand APP to download electronic versions of MacWorld

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I think there is an option to "Hide" the books, but I don't believe you can delete them.

As far as magazines, I use the Zinio APP and subscribe to MacWorld and Popular Photography on it...........

I found you can hide them by unchecking "Show Books from iCloud". But thats still going to clutter my my cloud information.. Don't know why Apple don't have an official forum for this stuff to give feedback.

Anyhow, MacWorld and Popular Photography are two of the ones I want, maybe Photo Plus for Canon being the other..

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does Zinio have a OSX App? I am at their website but all I see is IOS, Andriod and Win8?

EDIT;

Need Adobe AIR.. /facepalm LOL

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can read on your Mac using web browser, I'm almost certain, though has been quite a while since I used my Mac to access my Zinio account.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know about other magazines, but you can read the MacWorld digital copy on your Mac using Preview. As far as I'm aware, if you're a current subscriber you can also get the iOS iBook version for free. (However, it's a month behind the newsstand copy.) At least that's the way my subscription works.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I subscribed to UFC 360 last night. It was 15USD so good issue to try out on Zinio. Works good. I will get more subscriptions when I return from vacation in a week or so.

All the NewsStand stuff for Apple goes to iTunes, I would have assumed they would have moved those over to iBooks with Mavericks. But perhaps they are still working on it or haven't received enough feedback to make it a priority. Either way, all reading stuff should be in iBooks on all devices. IMHO..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.