WIFI repeater configuration on MAC Mini

Reaction score
Can someone help me with a step-by-step guide for setting up my WIFI repeater on my MAC mini. I would like to get an extension of the antenna range in my home WLAN. Dummy-level appreciated! The repeater is a Wireless-N device to plug into the wall socket.
Thanks on before hand.http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/smilies/Kiss.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Welcome to the forums.

So you currently have a working wifi network?

What exact make and model of repeater do you have?

OP
T
Reaction score
First of all thanks for your reply!
YES I've a working network at home. The router is a Netgear wireless router: 54 Mbps, WGR614, CE 0560.
It has one antenna.
My Mac mini is NOT cabled to this router nor to the ADSL modem.
BR, Thuis28

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK, so what exact make and model of repeater do you have?

OP
T
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to answer this question:
It's called a Wireless-N repeater, with stickers stating the following:E8ABFA114559, WL0189 REV. A.3.3
Default IP: 192.168.10.1 User/Password: adm
I do have some pics of the device if that should help.
BR, Thuis28

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's tricky without a manufacturer to go with but try this:

1. plug the repeater into a wall socket and connect it to your Mac Mini using an ethernet cable
2. temporarily turn off wifi on your Mac
3. Open Safari and enter "192.168.10.1" - no quotes into the address bar and hit enter
4. You should get a popup asking for a username and password enter "adm" no quotes into both
5. This is where it gets wooly, without full device details it's hard to give specifics
6. What you're trying to do is detect your existing wireless network and enter the password for it.
7. On a repeater that's all you should need to do. Save the settings if the option exists and close safari.
8. Disconnect the ethernet cable and re-enable wifi on your Mac
9. plug the repeater into a wall socket in the desired location
10. You should now get a further reaching wifi signal as the repeater re-broadcasts your existing wifi.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks! S far I've come to #3.
The result is a google list with all kind of links related to this problem, but NO popup box for typing username or password.
Hmmm, I try again tomorrow. Have to go now.
Will let U know, 4sure :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're still getting google results then you're still connected to the Internet!!!!!!!

Make sure it's only the IP address you're typing in

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi again.
When following your instructions, and turning off Airport ( in Systempreferences), then I only get a screen with the compass and a message saying that Safari could not connect to Internet. There is NOT such address bar where I can type.
So what do I wrong?
BR, Thuis28

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Safari address bar is the same place you would type a web address at the top of safari.

Have you connected the repeater to the mac by cable and plugged it in?

OP
T
Reaction score
So sorry to tell you but there is no such place on my screen where I can type anything - after turning off WIFI. I'd like to send you a screenshot :)
Yes, I do have connected the repeater (wired) to the MAC mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've highlighted the Safari address bar in red. Does this differ from what you can see?

address bar.png

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes it surely differs a lot!
There is no such address bar next to the + sign at the top, nor anywhere else :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must have customised Safari in some way. How do you normally enter addreses? Try going to the view menu and click Show toolbar. Alternatively you can use a different browser like Chrome

OP
T
Reaction score
First of all: THANKs for your patience!
I did customise Safari, and have now changed it back to its propiate view and layout.
Then I tuned off Airplay and entered the IP address in the bar, hit Enter and after a long time waiting Safari responded: The site you wanted could not be retrieved from the server (freely translated from Danish).
So I'm still stuck at #3 in your plan.
Any further suggestions or do you give up?
Thanks any way. I learned a lot :_)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK.

If this is a new, out-of-the-box device then the IP address you gave me should be OK. But you are getting a response using that address.

Does the repeater have any lights on it? Can we be sure it has power?

Does it have a button or hole that can be used to reset it?

OP
T
Reaction score
According to the Quick Guide the default IP address is 192.168.10.1.
I get no response using this address.
The repeater has lights on for Power and LAN indicator, while the Wireless indicator is flickering.
Before we resumed our "trip" this morning, I did actually reset the device.
BR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, first can you get Chrome browser and try the same address.

If you get the same issue go into System Preferences - Network

Does the ethernet connection in the left sidebar show it's connected?

If so click advanced and tell me the IP address that it shows. A screenshot of the network panel at this point would be useful too (OS X shortcuts for taking pictures of the screen)

OP
T
Reaction score
Allright then, this is what I did:
A. Downloaded and installed Chrome
B. Turned off Airport
C. Opened Chrome and typed the IP-address in the top bar, hit Enter
.... Nothing happens.
D. Systems>preferences>Network> Ethernet shows:
1. Status: Connected
2.Config IPv4 = manually
3. I-address: 169.254.234.183
Subnet: 255.255.0.0
Router: blank
DNS-server: blank
Searchdomain: blank

(sorry cannot get the image into this message box)

BR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To attach images you click 'go advanced' then use the paper clip icon to attach images

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.