Mavericks-skype will not open

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air
Downloaded mavericks last night on my mid 2011 mbp and now skype 5.1.0.968 will not open. After the download I did all software updates in the apple menu. I use skype quite a bit and still have it on the imac so was wondering if anyone knows if there is a version that's compatible with mavericks or do I just need to go back to mountain lion. The message reads "Skype quit unexpectedly" but it never opens.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you checked with the Skype folks to see if they're going to issue an update to make it compatible with Mavericks? It's amazing how many folks are complaining that such and such an app no longer works with Mavericks but failed to check before hand. I'm equally guilty of the same thing though....O:)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had done a google search and most were related to the beta release or had to do with the newest version of skype but could not find anything that showed a version that was compatible. I'll try to dig a little deeper tomorrow and maybe try some older or newer versions but I was just hoping someone who upgraded and has skype working could tell me what version they were running.
For me skype is used mainly for group messaging so the video is not that important.
Thanks for the quick response.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks osxx the oldest version works great. I'll play with it tomorrow and see what other versions I can find.
Much appreciated

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a update I also found Skype Version 6.9 (513) seems to be working fine with Mavericks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Downloaded mavericks last night on my mid 2011 mbp and now skype 5.1.0.968 will not open. After the download I did all software updates in the apple menu. I use skype quite a bit and still have it on the imac so was wondering if anyone knows if there is a version that's compatible with mavericks or do I just need to go back to mountain lion. The message reads "Skype quit unexpectedly" but it never opens.

I think OSX is trying to tell you something, with MS owning Skype and all :p

Jokes aside, I had the same issue when I bought my iMac 2 years ago - I still run the old version of Skype that I eventually got working on my 2 Macs. Hmmm, I've had two apps crash frequently in OSX: Skype and Remote Desktop that shipped with Office 2011. Maybe OSX IS trying to tell us all something and probably has a point!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Skype works fine here with the most recent version - had a call the other day and it worked like a charm. Thus, if it's crashing, it sounds like it's failing because of some weird conflict on your machine. Do you get any sort of error message or report?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Downloading newest version as I type this. Whatever version I had on there just bounced in the dock and got an error. It's probably an Antique version as I rarely use Skype.

Will report back.

Update: Went to Skype and grabbed their latest DMG and installed it. Error is gone and it comes right up and works.

iMac 2008 C2D with 4GB RAM and Mavericks with everything updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm running 5.8.0.1027. I think I settled on this version because it was the oldest one I could get my hands on at the time. Regarding the crashes, the latest version was installed on a clean OS. Was just starting out on OSX so only had Fusion and Office 2011 installed. It would crash when opening the App and viewing the contacts list.

5.8.0.1027 works fine and I often call Skype-to-Skype and use Skype Out. Hence no need to "risk" upgrade at this point (although an old version may be seen as a risk in itself). Skype is just a small part of my toolset, that it just works is more important than having the latest version (to me). Plus let's not forget that MS owns it: given enough time the install footprint should reach 4 TB and require the new Mac Pro to run it. ;P

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Plus let's not forget that MS owns it: given enough time the install footprint should reach 4 TB and require the new Mac Pro to run it. ;P
Have you seen the size of the new iLife applications? iPhoto, a photo manager, is 1.7GB. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Windows 7 is not all that large compared to say OSX. Not at all. I don't remember Windows 8 being all that bloated either when I tried it. Just don't like the interface for a Computer. It's great for a device.

4tb? That sounds more like you are speaking of Adobe! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you seen the size of the new iLife applications? iPhoto, a photo manager, is 1.7GB. ;)

Haven't checked to be honest, but my recent update download was in the order of 800MB. It'd be interesting to see where the "fat" sits. You seem quite knowledgable van, any idea?

Windows 7 is not all that large compared to say OSX. Not at all. I don't remember Windows 8 being all that bloated either when I tried it. Just don't like the interface for a Computer. It's great for a device.

4tb? That sounds more like you are speaking of Adobe! :D Grin

;) not much experience with Adobe, I'm afraid! Actually I lie: Acrobat Reader on Windows. Now that is a serious piece of bloatware. Since moving over to Mac and because of the new interface, I avoid Windows 8 like the plague. Windows 7 was actually a reasonable OS, but in my experience MS stuff has always been quite bloated and quite slow as a result. One MS product I do enjoy though is SQL Server.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haven't checked to be honest, but my recent update download was in the order of 800MB. It'd be interesting to see where the "fat" sits. You seem quite knowledgable van, any idea?
Good question. Looking through the app bundle, there's a folder called "Resources" that is 1.2 GB in size. In here is a whole collection of stuff that the app needs including localization files and pictures (there's a 10MB picture in there for example of wood panelling). The biggest files in there are a collection of databases, one of which is called "PointOfInterest.db" which is 253.4MB. What that is is beyond me but I imagine it has something to do with the geolocation of pictures...maybe?

One MS product I do enjoy though is SQL Server.
MS makes some pretty solid development tools. To this day, I still think that Visual Studio is the best development environment (that may be partly nostalgic though since I started coding with VB6).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good question. Looking through the app bundle, there's a folder called "Resources" that is 1.2 GB in size. In here is a whole collection of stuff that the app needs including localization files and pictures (there's a 10MB picture in there for example of wood panelling). The biggest files in there are a collection of databases, one of which is called "PointOfInterest.db" which is 253.4MB. What that is is beyond me but I imagine it has something to do with the geolocation of pictures...maybe?

That was fast! Drive capacity allows for inclusion of heaps of files...10MB for a picture of a wood panel? Wow. Graphics guys will be happy! Will check it out tomorrow...in this time zone it's bed time!

MS makes some pretty solid development tools. To this day, I still think that Visual Studio is the best development environment (that may be partly nostalgic though since I started coding with VB6).

Don't really know VS, have only played around a little, but I've generally heard good things. I'm a Delphi guy, brought up on it starting '99 and still going strong! Me and the other 0.001% of developers ;P

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh man, Delphi, that brings back memories of me learning to code. Delphi was always that mystery to me that was too expensive but looked really fun.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.