Installing OS X Mavericks

Reaction score
Hi, I wanted a clean-install for OS X Mavericks so this is what I did:
1. I turned on my MacBook and held the option key until the boot selection menu appeared.
2. I clicked on the 'Recovery' one and erased the Macintosh HD data.
3. Then, I went back to the OS X Utilities menu and I chose the Install OS X option.
4. Finally, I accepted and agreed on everything and the download for OS X Mavericks started.
Now, the download has been runnning for about 30 minutes, and it says ' 22 hours and 59 minutes remaining'. Why is taking so long? PLEASE HELP ME. Thank you in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have no idea why it's taking so long? Perhaps you're on a slow connection? The Mavericks download is around 5.6 GB and if the Apple servers are busy the download may be very slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Just a related question, i.e. how to decide on upgrading to Mavericks - does one need to just go from a previous OS X or does one do a 'clean' install?

In the spring of this year, I bought an iMac & a MBPro w/ Mountain Lion which is currently up to date - do I need to really delete these OSs and do a clean install, or can I simply do an upgrade? I'm sure that others are in this same 'mind set' on this issue - thanks for comments and suggestions - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I went direct from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, no problems whatsoever. I would try a direct update first. If you run into problems, you can always do a clean install later. I'm sure you're knowledgeable enough to make backups first and to create a Mavericks installer flash drive before doing the actual update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I went direct from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, no problems whatsoever. I would try a direct update first. If you run into problems, you can always do a clean install later. I'm sure you're knowledgeable enough to make backups first and to create a Mavericks installer flash drive before doing the actual update.

Ditto for me. That is what I did and it went incredibly smooth. No problems at all.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thanks Chscag - that was my plan, i.e. TM backup plus a secondary backup - then create an installer flash drive (as I believe you & others have suggested) and then just to the upgrade to Mavericks - thanks. Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB,1067, OSX 10.10.2 & iPad Mini 2 - 32 GB WiFi iOS 8.1.4
What is a Mavericks installer flash drive? Is everyone enjoying Mavericks or should I wait to install? What is a "Clean Install"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Going smoothly for me on both of my Macs.

I went the simple "upgrade" route on my late 2012 iMac. It's barely 10 months old and I had no concerns about a clean install.

However, I did do a clean install on my mid-2008 MBP because of its age and also I've never actually run iDefrag or Onyx on it. The last clean install on it was SL. Since then I've just done the upgrade Mac App Store downloads. I can't honestly say that doing a clean install has actually made any noticeable improvements, but I feel better in the back of my mind knowing it was done that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Now, the download has been runnning for about 30 minutes, and it says ' 22 hours and 59 minutes remaining'. Why is taking so long?

No Idea:Confused: Mine took a total of one hour twenty, and that included updating Pages, Numbers Keynote, iMovie etc after the install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is a Mavericks installer flash drive? Is everyone enjoying Mavericks or should I wait to install? What is a "Clean Install"?

Hi SweetPea - I still have not done the Mavericks upgrades on my fairly new Mac computers - as stated before, I'll just update from the Apple app download after doing the backups and making a bootable USB drive - check out this Thread for some discussion and also links explaining the process; also a nice discussion HERE about a 'clean' install - hope this helps. Dave :)

P.S. A 'clean install' means booting from the Mavericks USB flash drive - this will erase your computer's HD and install a 'fresh' copy of Mavericks; you will then need to use your backup options (e.g. Time Machine) to restore your other software to the HD - at least that is my understanding. NOW, if as I am planning to just 'upgrade' (i.e. overwrite my current OS X w/o the need to restore my other software), what is the purpose of making the 'bootable' Mavericks USB stick? I'm assuming that it is a 'safety net' if the upgrade goes wrong - correct? Just still thinking out this process - :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Going just great on a 2012 iMac. If your Mac, whatever it is, is newer than say 2011 and works well, do the upgrade after burning to a USB thumb drive. If otherwise, still make thumb drive, boot from it, erase and format the drive after backing everything up, and then run the Installer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB,1067, OSX 10.10.2 & iPad Mini 2 - 32 GB WiFi iOS 8.1.4
Hi SweetPea - I still have not done the Mavericks upgrades on my fairly new Mac computers - as stated before, I'll just update from the Apple app download after doing the backups and making a bootable USB drive - check out this Thread for some discussion and also links explaining the process; also a nice discussion HERE about a 'clean' install - hope this helps. Dave :)

P.S. A 'clean install' means booting from the Mavericks USB flash drive - this will erase your computer's HD and install a 'fresh' copy of Mavericks; you will then need to use your backup options (e.g. Time Machine) to restore your other software to the HD - at least that is my understanding. NOW, if as I am planning to just 'upgrade' (i.e. overwrite my current OS X w/o the need to restore my other software), what is the purpose of making the 'bootable' Mavericks USB stick? I'm assuming that it is a 'safety net' if the upgrade goes wrong - correct? Just still thinking out this process - :Blushing:

Thanks for the information, I'll dig into what you've suggested and get it done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Going just great on a 2012 iMac. If your Mac, whatever it is, is newer than say 2011 and works well, do the upgrade after burning to a USB thumb drive. If otherwise, still make thumb drive, boot from it, erase and format the drive after backing everything up, and then run the Installer.

Hi Harry & Other Experts Here - my Macs are just 6 months old, so simple 'upgrading' (vs. no need for a 'clean' install) to Mavericks would seem to be my best and simplest choice; in my last post on this thread I added a P.S. partly quoted below - my question is WHY make a 'bootable' Mavericks USB stick in this situation - my only thought is that if the upgrade does not work, I might want to have this bootable USB flash drive? I'm sure there are many of us recent Mac converters running Mountain Lion and just want the quickest and easiest way to upgrade to Mavericks - thanks for any comments. Dave :)

NOW, if as I am planning to just 'upgrade' (i.e. overwrite my current OS X w/o the need to restore my other software), what is the purpose of making the 'bootable' Mavericks USB stick? I'm assuming that it is a 'safety net' if the upgrade goes wrong - correct? Just still thinking out this process -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
RadDave the reason for the USB thumb drive is simple. In rural Australia limited ADSL with limited monthly capacity. Mavericks uses 60% of my monthly allocation. Also with Lion and Mountain Lion when running on a laptop, it was found after upgrading, a clean install often produced a faster more stable result.

When OS X.7, OS X.8 and OS X.9 were downloaded, if no thumb drive made before the Installer was run, it does require downloading again should there be any install or hard drive problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Personally think the bootable thumb drive is a must,:Cool: will just add for those who have never done this that once you have made it the only way your Mac will see it is if you plug it in prior to booting. If you insert it after boot Finder will not see it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.