MacBook Air 2/3's full

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
Hi!

My late model 2011 MacBook Air is getting a little 'full'. It has a 120 gig HD (Flash Storage) and my About This Mac shows I have 37.9 GB free. When looking at the Storage 'chart', this is what I have.

Audio-3.7GB, Movies 12.6GB, Photos 7.4 GB, Apps 13.2 GB, Backups 1.18 GB and Other 44.3 GB.

My question is this.... I have NO movies on this machine and precious few videos. I leave all that for my iMac and it's external drives. And what would be included in Other? I don't have that many documents onboard, again, leaving the word processing up to the big machine in my home office.

I'd like to free up some space on my little MBA (it's a little constipated) but am unsure the best way to do that. I backup this machine at least once a week, so current backups are no problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently running Mountain Lion, latest version.

Thank you!

Cheers!

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Do you use ESET or any other anti-virus program?

I've seen ESET create ginormous log files. Specifically on a friends MBA.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might give GrandPerspective a try. it can show a graphic representation of large file. More Importantly 'm pretty sure it can reveal the files in Finder.

Are you using Time Machine? If so, it saves local snapshots on the internal drive any time the external drive is not available.I don't think the Finder counts these files though because they get removed when space is needed.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
Hey MacsWork!

No, I do not use ESET or any virus scanners on this machine.

And to Slydude:

Yes, I do use Time Machine, at least a couple of times a week. I will look into the program you suggested. Thanks for the tip!

I am still at a loss why I have so many gigs of “movies” and am still wondering what types of data are in the OTHER category too.

I guess I’ll just dive into the Finder and take a long look around at what’s what. I guess if I zap anything too important I can just put it back from the current backup.

Thanks, you two!

Cheers!

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.