Creating a forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None so far
Hi all...
I would like to create a simple private forum for a small group. Has anybody here had experience of setting one up and can anyone recommend a good starter one for an iMac.
Simplicity is an important requirement :|

Many thanks and hope this is the correct area for this post, apologies in advance if I am on the wrong board.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Many web hosts have tools to automatically install web applications including, but not limited to, forums. Who is your host? Do they offer such a feature?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None so far
Thank you for your reply vansmith, ...... This is where my ignorance shows through as my knowledge of web hosts is about nil (or slightly less)..... I use safari and my ISP is British Telecom, that's about all I can tell you....

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you want to have an online forum, it needs to be hosted on a web server somewhere. There are a whole bunch of web hosting companies that will provide you with space on their server and a domain for a relatively low fee. There are also bound to be free hosts that will provide what you need but you'll likely lose some flexibility and/or you'll have to put up with ads on your forum. One free option is here (I've never actually tried this one so I have no idea what it's like).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you for your reply vansmith, ...... This is where my ignorance shows through as my knowledge of web hosts is about nil (or slightly less)..... I use safari and my ISP is British Telecom, that's about all I can tell you....

This is probably a topic a bit too complex to discuss solely on an internet forum...especially if someone has practically zero knowledge on this topic.

It's sort of like asking..."How do I do brain surgery on my dog?"...on an internet forum...and expecting to be able to do it after starting a few forum threads!;) Ok...maybe not quite that complex...but you get the idea.:)

I think that a great thing to do is do some internet searching on:

- "How to create an internet forum?"
- "Setting up an Internet Forum."
- "Internet Forums for Dummies."
- etc.

Read up on the topic. Then if there are specific areas that still seem confusing...then post those questions here...and we can address them one by one.:)

This is how I would approach things.:)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None so far
Vansmith and pigoo3 .... I really appreciate your advice over this and clearly it's more complicated than I imagined, I will look up the links you have provided and get myself educated in the art of creating a forum. Many thanks once again and I'll let you know how I get on. This really is a great group of people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Creating a forum via Yahoo Groups used to be easy, free and effective. Since Yahoo 'upgraded' to Neo it's been a complete mess, so don't be tempted to use Yahoo.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None so far
Thanks Steve, I'll take your advice ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air
Is it really a forum you want or just a private place for group chats? If the latter you can setup a private room in Skype for chat and swapping pictures etc,, I've had one open for a couple years with about 40 people all with a grilling/ bbq interest and it's free. It's private as people will have to be added to see or comment in the room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi
The easiest and cheapest way to get your own forum is use a free forum such as click here or do a Google search for free forums. Using free forum software is what I personally would recommend before signing up for hosting, paying for a domain name and such to see if you even like having your own forums. If you like it after a while, then spend some money on it. But try it out 1st.

Reaction score
Other than the excellent suggestions offered above, I would pitch in with some ordinary suggestions as well.
It is pretty easy to set up a forum with a good host. It is a simple process with a few clicks away from your host's control panel. Main issue would be to develop a community. That takes a lot of effort. After all it would be painful to see a forum where little activity takes places. Building a network of loyal, passionate members is a serious task.
I maintain servers for living (amongst other things) and I can tell you from experience - it is relatively a simple thing with machines and software. It is entirely a different ballgame when it comes to people.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.