lost login window

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch, Early 2008, Processor 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I "lost" my login window - for the password - when I upgraded to snow leopard. Now I only get an icon with my name for logging in. However, I need the login window to reset an ADMIN password. How do I get that now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
If you need to reset your admin password, restart from your Snow Leopard DVD, select your language, then reset password from the drop down utilities menu.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch, Early 2008, Processor 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Thanks Steve. Just one question. Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, I've upgraded online to Mountain Lion. Is it safe to restart from the Snow Leopard DVD? Would I lose anything or would I need to re-install Mountain Lion again?

Gerrit van Wyk
South Africa

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still lost about my lost login window. Awaiting reply on my last reply

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post or start a new thread. I merged your threads together...

You can always bring your post back to the top by replying to it with the word "bump" or "update". Do not create a second thread.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the admin info. I'm learning. I still have my technical problem though. What do I do next?

Reaction score
Startup holding the option key and select the Recovery Disk. Run Reset Password from the menu.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Craig. I made some progress by at least finding the recovery disk. However, it was not just about choosing a "reset password" option. I get a menu of 4 options:
1. Restore from time machine backup
2. Reinstall OS X
3. Get help online
4. Disk utility
Here is where I get nervous. I checked on reinstalling OS X. It will take 75 hours (this is Africa!) so I backed off. I tried utilities from drop down menu and reset firmware password. But it did not help. My login window was just the same again without giving me the option of a question mark that I can follow to try and use my Apple ID for resetting my lost login password as explained in the guidelines. So I'm back to square one and really a bit stupid to dare into the unknown too much. I started wondering if OS Mavericks is really worth this frustration. Any more advice? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bingo!!!! Thanks Craig. Your edit note gave me what I needed. I am exploring the benefit of all the effort now. Not sure how much of the new features I will use. But the Forum is where I will keep going for solving problems. Thanks again. Gerrit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.