iLife, Is there any reason it cannot be used for commercial purposes?

Reaction score
Like the iWeb templates, I can't find very much information on exactly how we are allowed to use them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I know you are not suppose to use it for commercial purposes but I know people who are lazy and use iMovie to edit videos for sale...
I keep telling them its illegal and that they know final cut pro so why not use it....

I know nothing about iWeb but I am pretty sure that it would not be a good idea to use templates that somebody else made and selling them to somebody as if you made them. I am not sure if this means that you can not use one of their templates to promote your own business that has nothing to do with web design... for example use iWeb to make a site for your pizza place .. So really I don't know about the rules this is just speculation.

OP
M
Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
I know you are not suppose to use it for commercial purposes but I know people who are lazy and use iMovie to edit videos for sale...
I keep telling them its illegal and that they know final cut pro so why not use it....

Where did you get that idea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i was told by somebody it was to be used for home use only.. I don't know how accurate that is, but once I hear somebody say something is illegal I play it safe and don't do it.. even though I don't use iMovie, I have final cut studio, i would still never think to use iMovie to put together a short slideshow because I heard it was illegal. So if i am wrong correct me I don't want to have the wrong idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Benjamindaines said:
Well, the easiest way to know for sure is just read the software licence agreement.
http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/ilife06.html

It is not illegal to sell something you edited with iMovie, as long as you aren't using copyrighted names or material in your product. Apple has a license on the software they sell, not the media you funnel through it. That would be like saying you couldn't use Safari to run your web-based business. Legality of marketable material is based on copyrights and licenses, not on what you used to edit it.

EXAMPLE: I am allowed to edit my own footage in iMovie and sell the results provided it is 100% my own material, but I am NOT allowed to sell garageband audio loops or sound sets as a part of my footage because they were generated in garageband and therefore not my own material.

*DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer. If anybody has a simpler or more accurate explanation, feel free to post it.

OP
M
Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
I have final cut studio

You honestly use that enought to justify the cost?

It isn't necessarily illegal to use iMovie to make commercial videos, but you have to pay for the licensing for the mpegla encoder used by iMovie if you distribute more than a certain amount of copies.

I have heard through every EULA I could find on Apples site related to iLife and I am still not sure. It doesn't specify that it can't be, but also doesn't say it can be. The terms of use for GarageBand specifies you can use the audio loops included with it on a royalty-free basis.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.