forgot my "restrictions" passcode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only an Iphone
I restricted my iphone with a 4 digit passcode, but forgot it. I now want to un-restrict it, but because I don't remember my passcode, I can't. I'm OK with a total reset. I can recover my apps from the cloud. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Total reset in iTunes is the only way I know how unless someone else has a better suggestion.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's basically the only option. I am going to have to do the same to my iPad for the third time in about the last six weeks. iTunes will perform a backup then you can restore the phone from a previous backup. Word of caution: If you restore from a backup make sure that the backup is one that was made before you set the passcode. Otherwise the passcode will still be on the phone.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only an Iphone
Problem is I did that passcode 6 months ago and failed to write it down thinking that I'd have no problem remembering it again. However it's not any of the regulars that I use and nothing I've tried works. In the meantime, I had a problem with the lock switch on my original phone so Apple replaced it. After restoring, the new phone has the same code in it. I failed to get them to reset my phone while at the store, and may have to go back to do so. I was just hoping there was a way to reset that didn't require me to visit the Apple Store again.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can reset it through iTunes as mentioned above. It's a rather simple process but, as noted, you will lose everything on the phone.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Conner the phone to iTunes and launch it. Select the phone and choose the restore option don't choose restore backup. Apparently the backup was made after the pass code was applied. Unfortunately you will loose any data on the phone.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. I've done the same thing on my iPad a couple of times in the last few months. in fact I'm probably going to need to do this tomorrow. I've forgotten the code I used to set restrictions on my iPad.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only an Iphone
SlyDude,

Once i empty my iphone and restore it to original condition, is there any way I can get my songs off of Itunes without my restrictions pass code coming along with them?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the songs are on your computer normal syncing should move the songs from your computer to the phone. Since the code isn't on the phone as far as its concerned this is a completely new situation. As long as you don't use the backup to restore files you should be fine.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only an Iphone
Great! Thanks again.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only an Iphone
Well, I did the dastardly deed and "restored" my phone as new. Then I was able to get back my apps and songs--all as promised--via syncing. It took some basic set up again, but I now have my phone back with all working and the new passcode written in my password book.

The only thing different is I can't get my app ikons to move between the different screens like I used to. Typically, I would touch and hold an ikon until they all jiggled then drag whichever one I wanted to whatever front page screen I wanted. Now all they do is move on their current page. I'm assuming there's a setting, but haven't been able to find it yet.

Any clues?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only an Iphone
never mind. Figured it out.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got that figured out. I didn't see this question last night.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.