ibook g4 slow down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
hi there,

will my ibook g4 slow down if u put quite a bit of music on it.

60gb hd
1.33ghz
768mb ram
12.1"

thanks

chris tm

:mac:

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so does it slow down less than a windows machine would?

Reaction score
Simply having files on your hard drive won't slow down your computer down any noticeable amount.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mynameis said:
Simply having files on your hard drive won't slow down your computer down any noticeable amount.

ok cool, thanks for your info :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Unibody MacBook Pro
christm said:
ok cool, thanks for your info :mac:
I no what you mean, I had a Windows laptop and it slowed it down soo much! I have a 40GB Laptop and have right now currently 400 songs + 30 videos for my iPod and It hasnt slowed down at all! this is with my iBook G4.

Reaction score
Justin5117 said:
I no what you mean, I had a Windows laptop and it slowed it down soo much! I have a 40GB Laptop and have right now currently 400 songs + 30 videos for my iPod and It hasnt slowed down at all! this is with my iBook G4.

The number of files on your hard drive wasn't what was slowing down your PC laptop.

J

Jordan

I don't think that your iBook should slow down much (at all) as long as you don't have it filled right up. I think they say to leave a couple gigs free for it not to gum up at all.

Cheers.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanks guys. i have now put a lot of my cd's and other music onto it. so far i havnt noticed a difference.

I asked this because of my old laptop windoze xp home i had some songs on it and it did slow down quite a bit.

cheers anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
i have the exact same specs as your ibook!
i have about 2.5 gigs free right now.
speed wise it's good but you should do repair permissions regularly in the utilities folder which is basically defragging your hard drive. i also use macjanitor which is a free program. does it help? i think it does! lol

but the best thing is that ur right, it's not like windows where things can feel sluggish and you can hear the hard drive whirring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Again, like mynameis has already said, it was not the number of or amount of files or music on your system that was slowing your computer down.
I have over 12GB of music on my PowerBook currently and it does not affect the performance of the machine in any way.
I have also had up to 35GB of music on a Windows PC and again, no performance drop.
Its not the files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.