Message App frozen in Mavericks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Love Mac Forums - always get help. That being said...
Adobe products working - check
Folders and icons mysteriously reappeared on desktop after being MIA for two hours - check
Message App still not working and frozen on the dock - big problem - HELP please
Still unable to receive any mail sent to myself (test) - Problem
Images back to embedding into email not attaching - Problem & awaiting update to Attachment Tamer (great stuff!)
Wacom stylus still drunk and dancing all over the monitor - no driver found on website for OS 10.9
Will patiently await updates for Attachment Tamer and Wacom tablet, but PLEASE how do I fix Messages - I send virtually all my texts from my Mac as I am glued here for most of the day.
Thank you.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
I have an iphone and it is not the phone I am having issues with, it is my iMac. I can send texts just fine from either my iPhone or my iPad, but I primarily use the messages app (little blue conversation bubble) that is situated on my dock, for sending text messages. I am at my computer most of the time, and it is far easier to just send them from there.
That bubble is now just inactive. I have been able to resolve the mail situation, but I have checked every setting that I can, and checking to make sure that Messages was activated, and it is, but still nothing.

Reaction score
What I meant is depending on what kind of phone, Airdroid will let you send texts from your Mac, through your phone. Thats what most people think of when you say texts, coming from a phone.

I'm assuming you mean texting like AIM. Cant think what the problem with iMessage is. Might want to try clearing the files from ~/Library/Messages or moving ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.imservice.iMessage.plist and restarting iMessages. You would have to redo your accounts and preferences but if it works...

M

MacInWin

On the Mail images issue, try right clicking on the image once it's in the draft email and select View as Icon. That will then look just like it does in Outlook. And on the receiving end, they should be able to right click on the icon (or image) and select Save or Save As and save the image. I've never had to use any third party product to send images to Windows users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Do you have an Apple ID and password (iTunes will work)?
Are you signed in?
Messages >Preferences> Accounts> Make sure enabled is checked and all that apply in the column below.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
I really appreciate you all helping, but I have done all of those things suggested. The sending of images has always been a problem. I work in the area of Special Events and do conceptual renders and vector artwork as necessary, so I am very familiar within the image arena. Even with the image placed as an icon on the email it cannot be saved on the other side, (or so they tell me.) As they say - been there and done that, many many times. They are simply embedded and you are fortunate, as everyone that I speak with that sends from Mac to PC has the same issue.

Right now that is the least of my problems as I am literally on the verge of tears over this whole Mavericks mess. Now - I can see that Mail has come in, there are the numbers in the red dot on the icon on my dock, but no matter what I do that actual app will not open. Neither for that matter will Chrome. I know it's there somewhere, as it did open for a while, and then disappeared from view, but I could hear the audio that happened to be on, in the website that I was looking at still playing, but the actual viewing window had vanished (not minimised.) And last but not least - still no messages. I now have to either view my mail on my iphone or iPad or access it via Safari/AOL Mail and Gmail. There has to be something terribly wrong and I just wish I could go back in time and never have installed Mavericks. My beloved iMac was working like a champion before that. I am exhausted and fed up and just going to call it a night. I cannot afford to have anything else go wrong with it, as at least Photoshop and Sketchup are working and they are my livelihood and I have work to do tomorrow. So I will have to live without the Mail app, and Messages and Chrome. Really sad. But as said before...thanks

Reaction score
I don't suppose it's possible that when you run Mail, or Chrome, that it opens in another space, and you just cant see it? Tried using Mission Control?

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
No - not there. I give up. I will have no choice next week - maybe - to make an appointment and take the thing into the Apple store and see if someone at the genius bar can figure it out. Although to be honest, I have not had too much luck with the geniuses. :) Or... wait for my daughter who is off at Disney World for the weekend, look at it through another pair of eyes and with a younger brain. Maybe she will find or think of something that I am missing. Unfortunately I am like a pit bull and don't like things to beat me, so never know when to just throw in the towel. But... it is four minutes past midnight and this Cinderella is going to sleep. Nighty night.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.