External hard drive

Reaction score
What are some of the better external hard drives for a Mac 10.6.8?

thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD not retina xD
Hey,

I highly recommend Lacie hard drives. They are extremely reliable. I have a bad history with Western Digital, and several other big name companies, they just don't last. Lacie has a wide variety of hard drives, to fit all different kinds of computers. It really comes down to what you are looking for, or what you need. Do you need/have USB 3.0? Does your Device have Thunderbolt? Is this going to be a sitting in a fixed location, or are you going to be carrying it around?

I have the Lacie Porsche Design P'9223. I got it because the 128GB SSD on my actual computer is very small. It has USB 3.0 so the transfer speed is great. However, if your device does not have USB 3.0 then make sure you pick up the USB 2.0 option.

This has been the best HD I have ever owned.
LaCie - LaCie Porsche Design P

Hope this helps!
iTz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You pays your buck and takes your chances as all hard drives fail sooner or later. Shop around for the best value and best warranty. Seagate were offering five years some time ago. Currently, OEM is three years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
These days if you crack the case open you will probably find they are either made by Western Digital or Seagate no matter the brand on the outside of the case.
My Lacie had a Seagate inside.

M

MacInWin

I gave up on Seagate after a set of crashes. Now use WD MyBook drives. So far, so good. I do have one LaCie ruggedized drive and it's also pretty good.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can, but IMO you'd be wasting your money on buying a drive that's USB 3.0 capable since your machine can only do USB 2.0. Unless you're planning on buying a new machine soon, I would look for a USB 2.0 external drive. You should be able to find one on sale from an on line reseller.

M

MacInWin

On the other hand, it should be backward compatible to USB2 and when/if you upgrade the MBP, you'll get higher speeds of USB3. Just a thought...

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks guys! Here's another one:

The specs read System Requirements Mac: OS X Lion or Mountain Lion

I have Snow leopard 10.6.8

EDIT: I found out the kit comes with a USB 3 cable.

My MAC is USB 2? Yes or No?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't tell us which Mac you have but I'm assuming since you're still running Snow Leopard, it's likely equipped with USB 2.0 ports not 3.0.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All the current generation of external drives are going to be USB 3. Don't think any of the major players are still making USB 2 drives, so you'd have to find someone that still has some last gen drives in stock. Everyone has had those WD passport drives on sale recently at very good price points - I picked up a 500 GB one so the wife could start keeping a clone backup along with the TM backup I already had running. We'll see how good they are as time goes on.

OP
B
Reaction score
You didn't tell us which Mac you have but I'm assuming since you're still running Snow Leopard, it's likely equipped with USB 2.0 ports not 3.0.

Thanks to you and everyone else.

Yes, I have a MAC with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Purchased in November 2009.

Here's where I'm a little confused.

The aforementioned drive is USB 3 but claims it's USB 2 compatible. I checked the documentation and it comes with a USB 3 cable.

If I were to purchase it how do I connect it?

Sorry, if this is a stupid question. trying to learn.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The aforementioned drive is USB 3 but claims it's USB 2 compatible. I checked the documentation and it comes with a USB 3 cable.

If I were to purchase it how do I connect it?

USB 3.0 is backward compatible with USB 2.0 so the drive will run at USB 2.0 speeds. As for the cable, you must use the cable supplied because USB 2.0 cables are not compatible with the USB 3.0 female connector on the drive. However, the other end (male connector) is the same for USB 2.0 and 3.0. In other words, it will work with the ports on your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.