New base rMBP vs top rMBP Mid 2012

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hope you can help me out with something. Just like a lot of you guys i've waited for ages to buy the new rMBP, and i've wanted to buy the 15 inch base model, which costs around 2020 Euro (2780$) in Belgium where i live.

But today i bumped into to this one : MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), 2.6GHZ QC I7/8GB/512GBFLASH – Restore by Switch which went from 2629€ to 1800 €. It's an ex-demo product in a very good state, so the only downside might be the fact that it was on and used all day long for showcasing to possible buyers... (don't know if anyone has bad experiences with these ?)

I've already read a lot on this forum about the new rMBP, but i find it quite hard to make a comparison between the new rMBP and the one that i found on this website.

Which one would you guys advise me to go for ?

Greetings and thx for your help !

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would not be fearful about buying a refurbished machine from Apple, however, I personally stay away from anything that was used as a demo and was handled by who knows how many folks. In other words, I wouldn't trust a demo, even if it's an Apple demo.

But it's your money.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
I'd agree - weigh up how much more you'd need to pay against that risk and feeling of unknown. A new machine comes with Apple Care, with the option to extend. Plus it's the latest model.

Personally, sleeping well at night is worth more than a couple of hundred €... You're already buying a high-end product, false economy in my view.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.