Nov 1st iPad Air release day expectations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I have a work thing next Friday morning. The day the new iPad Air is released. I'm contemplating a half day and leaving work at noon. I'm just not sure if the Apple stores around here would still have enough iPads in inventory. I can't remember how it went with the last couple of iPad releases if they sold out the first day or what. I'm either getting a 32GB or 64GB wi-fi only iPad Air.

I know I could call the stores and ask what they have in stock, but my work requires a week's notice for time off like that so I have to decide today. Anyone remember how past iPad release days went? I'm in Phoenix, AZ U.S.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyone remember how past iPad release days went?

iPad 1 and iPad 2 release days were nutty. I don't remember hearing about there being as much chaos for iPad 3 or iPad 4 release days.

But if you're excited and asking about it...then I'm sure there are others as well. So it will probably be "nutty"!;) lol

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
I have to wait ill Nov 2nd. I'm going to call the apple store about 8PM Friday to make sure they will have product for Saturday and we will be there as soon as the mall will let us in to be in line- good thing hubby will be with me- we can take turns in however long the wait is- I am going for a 64 or 32 gig prefer silver/ white but color is irrelevant , i will keep mine in a case- Amazon has sellers for iPad air cases( i paid 15.00 so if it's a bust, I won't sweat it)

OP
MYmacROX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I decided to roll the dice and go for it. I am hoping to get out of here around 11am that day and head straight to the Apple Store. Not sure what to expect. I'll probably call first to make sure they have some in stock. Going for a wi-fi only 64GB white. We have 3 or actual Apple stores in our metro area and plenty of Target stores, Best Buys, and Wal-Marts. Those will be my backup if none of the Apple stores have the one I want.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I popped in to an Apple store today to check what their expectations are for Friday. According to the greeter you can use 'reserve and collect' from the Apple Store app to secure your unit before heading over to the shop.

OP
MYmacROX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I popped in to an Apple store today to check what their expectations are for Friday. According to the greeter you can use 'reserve and collect' from the Apple Store app to secure your unit before heading over to the shop.

I'm going to attempt to order one online tonight and do in-store pickup tomorrow. That would make my Friday a little less hectic.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm trying to buy one online from the UK store (I live in the UK, but happen to be in the States this week). Even though it's already the 1st there, the website won't allow me to make a purchase yet.

Either way, the greeter I spoke with said they had plenty of stock for the launch, so unless you want a particularly popular option you should hopefully be OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
Just purchased my iPad air for store pick up- home shipments start on 11/4- I can pick up my Air without worrying about lines of my model/color preference being out of stock- I had back up choices ready but no line waiting is golden- just had to make sure they didn't put the whole purchase on my debit card I have for my apple ID- funny thing I was able to add a second card but had to split the amount - had to put something on the card registered on the apple ID- so, i just put 8.00 on that one- who cares, Silver/white 64 gig will be waiting for me- now I can see if the cases I bought on Amazon for 16.00 really fit the new iPad air

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've ordered one from the UK online store this morning; it opened about 7am UK time.

OP
MYmacROX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just purchased my iPad air for store pick up- home shipments start on 11/4- I can pick up my Air without worrying about lines of my model/color preference being out of stock- I had back up choices ready but no line waiting is golden- just had to make sure they didn't put the whole purchase on my debit card I have for my apple ID- funny thing I was able to add a second card but had to split the amount - had to put something on the card registered on the apple ID- so, i just put 8.00 on that one- who cares, Silver/white 64 gig will be waiting for me- now I can see if the cases I bought on Amazon for 16.00 really fit the new iPad air

That's the same model I picked up. Ordered online yesterday morning (10:30 am) and it was ready for pickup about 30 minutes later. I waited until after lunch for the small line to die down and was able to walk right in.

Let me know what you think of those cases. I'm trying to make up my mind about which one to get. We looked at the Apple brand "leatherette" yesterday and it was pretty decent. Not weird leather look and texture like I expected at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How's this for irony regarding the cases- the one for 2.00 fit perfectly, the one for 12.00(fancy black and white tree pattern- was too small- I realized it did not even have an place in the back for the camera port. So, still ahead. the manufacturer had sent me an e-mail that the cases did not have the wake sleep mode and new cases will be sent to replace the others . I have my lilac case for my air working fine.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Walked in the door of our Apple store this morning, tried the heft on the iPad Air and walked out five minutes later with a white one for my wife and slate gray for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The employee at the store said that yesterday there was at opening a 2 hour wait- Today, with a pre-order( usually unheard of with big apple unveiling) I had a10 min wait after signing in to get my product, have a seat at set up and got the ball rolling. walk in's were helped with advisors to see what they were interested in memory size, cell service. there had to be well over 25 blue shirts in the store- some taking names or answering questions, others helping with set up- I did need some assistance since there were more options compared to the first generation model- I had it backed up at home and once my new iPad was updated and all of my apps looked right , i deleated and un installed my old one. If the person that was interested does not contact me, I have like 28 days to sell my old one back to apple for an app card

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.