iWork - MS Office (Mac - Windows) compatibility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
Now that iWork is free and on my mac, I thought I could start using it :)

But you know, we are in a MS Office dominated world. So, that of course, brings the question of compatibility with MS Office. You know, if the industry standard is MS Office, any office suite is kind of as good as its compatibility with MS Office.

What I want to learn can actually be found on the internet, in the articles, but I'm more interested in your personal experiences with these two. How do these two go along? I found out iWork applications have the option to import/export. I tried a couple of Powerpoint documents and they were okay.

I don't think there would be much differences and incompatibilities with the simple documents. But things might get complicated you know. I'm especially interested in Word and Powerpoint documents, these two being my work and school document types.

The other thing is, if iWork won't be my only office solution on Mac, then which way should I go: The native Mac one or using Windows one on top of Wineskin or CrossOver?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, iWork is not free. I don't know where you got that idea from? If you already have Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, (iWork 09) you can upgrade to the latest versions from the Mac App store for free but they must still be purchased first.

As for compatibility between MS Office 2011 and the latest iWork apps, I can't answer for the new versions. But in the past, I generally advise folks that if you change or swap documents (Word, Powerpoint) with other Office users, it's better to stick with Office. Also for university students and students in general, Office is the de facto standard and that's what they should use. The same goes for the business world.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the answer :)

Doesn't iWork consist of Keynote, Pages and Numbers? I got them from MAS for free.

Well, probably all of my clients use MS Office, simply because they have Windows. That's disappointing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If compatibility is in any way a concern, get Office. iWork appears to do an admirable job but at the end of the day, it's still not Office. I think this is especially important in light of your concern that documents may get more complicated which suggests that you'll likely run into more issues if you don't use Office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Office is the best suite. Pure and simple.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys.
I was reading some news about iWork suite being free to the new Mac owners (but then accidentally being free to even owners of the pirated versions), I read that the power users think that the new suite is not an upgrade, but a downgrade (the term 'dumbed down' is used).
That means, the compatibility issues might be more obvious now.

But, what do you think about the Mac version and the Windows version of Microsoft Office? I can run my previously bought Windows version (2010) in CrossOver. I haven't tried it yet, but it is said so. Again, I don't have Office for Mac on my computer too.
Are there any issues you are aware of between Windows version of Office and Office for Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But, what do you think about the Mac version and the Windows version of Microsoft Office? I can run my previously bought Windows version (2010) in CrossOver. I haven't tried it yet, but it is said so. Again, I don't have Office for Mac on my computer too.
Are there any issues you are aware of between Windows version of Office and Office for Mac?

I have both Office 2010 and Office 2011. They're compatible between each other and for the most part, issue free. However, my opinion - Windows Office 2010 is easier to use and works more elegantly than Office 2011. At least for Word and Powerpoint since those are the only two apps I currently use. Mac Outlook 2011 is awful so don't even think of using it unless you absolutely have to.

I also have the latest version of CrossOver which will run Office 2010 without a glitch. It's up to you. I suggest giving Office 2011 a try if you already have a copy. If not, don't buy it and use Office 2010 with either CrossOver or with Windows from a Boot Camp dual boot or Virtual Machine software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.