• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Mac Pro Color.. Possible Mouse and Keyboard recolor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I am a stickler for making sure everything with my computer matches esthetically.
The new Mac Pro is black or space grey. Not really sure from the pics. But its darker colored.
One thing I don't like about my keyboard and mouse is the color combination. Why still use white on the keys and mouse? All the Macs are Aluminum with black accents (except the pro which is black with crome accents I think).
Well anyway, I was wondering if anyone thinks there is a chance they may make a keyboard and mouse dark colored to match the mac pro?

Till then, can someone point me in the direction for a great black bluetooth mac keyboard. Logitech has a awesome one with backlit keys, but its for win blows.. :Confused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We probably should move this to the other hardware forum rather than here, however, for now try the Matias website: LINK

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
We probably should move this to the other hardware forum rather than here, however, for now try the Matias website: LINK

Well, its not really about existing hardware. More the theoretical idea that they would make a matching keyboard for the Mac Pro. Basicly it would drive me crazy on my Aluminum & White keyboard and mouse if I owned one of those nice shinny black Mac Pros..

As far as my current mac mini.. Soo tempted to give it the krylon touch..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Only a little OCD, eh?

;)

But, yeah I understand, I only buy same colored components in my entertainment center which are all black currently.
Wouldn't even consider an aluminum colored device.
I'd have to replace all of them or finally build that in wall cabinet to enclose them all I've been considering.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...if I owned one of those nice shinny black Mac Pros..

As far as my current mac mini.. Soo tempted to give it the krylon touch..

What's the true seriousness of purchasing a new Mac Pro (or are "we" just dreaming)?;)

Going from a Mac-Mini to the new Mac Pro is quite a jump.:)

- Nick

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only a little OCD, eh?

;)

But, yeah I understand, I only buy same colored components in my entertainment center which are all black currently.
Wouldn't even consider an aluminum colored device.
I'd have to replace all of them or finally build that in wall cabinet to enclose them all I've been considering.

hehe.. Honeslty I have OCD really really bad.. I would make Monk a nervous wreck..

What's the true seriousness of purchasing a new Mac Pro (or are "we" just dreaming)?;)

Going from a Mac-Mini to the new Mac Pro is quite a jump.:)

- Nick
True seriousness. In all honesty I have the money, thats not even an issue. What would make me want to spend the money is down to what would I get back in return for making that investment. I just sold my gaming PC I had more then 2k in. I just didn't need it anymore.

Currently my MM does everything I need and does it very well. Lightroom doesn't even use video card processing yet unlike Photoshop. Since most my photography workload is done in Lightroom a good multithreading CPU like the i7 is all I need. Since I installed my Samsung 830 series SSD into my MM, I can go from pushing the power button to desktop in less then 10secs. Photoshop takes 2secs from Icon to using it. Also with huge panorama photos taking in RAW, it doesn't even work a sweat.

So a Mac Pro would have to offer me something my MM doesn't. Currently, it would be a waste of money. Now take into consideration I got my MM before the iMac refresh. The iMacs at the time had only Ivy Core i5s in them, despite the increased clock speed. Under heavy loads the MM with the i7 would still be a tad faster.. So I went with the MM.

I am however very very interested in the new MM refresh due in about 6 or 7 months.. Hoping something faster then whats in the current iMacs, also the Iris Pro iGPU still needs a improvement boost. Though its looking promising. But next refresh I may get a new MM and hand this one down to my daughter who will be turing 9 about that time. Be a great computer for her. Plus MMs are just darn affordable.

Now more speculation. Could the new Mac Pro color scheme be the direction Apple could be going in? They been aluminum for a few years now, before polycarbonate and mostly white. This isn't hard to do, just little anodizing and apple can make them any color they wish. They already have black keys on the Mac laptops. And they glow so nice. I don't see this happening to the laptop line. But could be one of their refinement trends. Who nows, I doubt it though. But hey its speculation and a lot of imagination..

Now I really hope they do make a darker keyboard. I have the magic mouse. But I have a love / hate relationship with it. Love the functionality, hate the total lack of ergonomics. Its just dang uncomfortable to use for long periods of time. Now I love the keyboard. I got the small bluetooth one. But would be overly happy if I had it in black tone scheme. It would at least match my logitech mouse and monitors then. That and white keys tend to get dirty overtime. Though I am suprised at how clean these manage to stay. But I just can't see Apple selling that beautiful Mac Pro with a white keyboard and mouse.. Just doesn't make sense..

But who knows.. :-/

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True seriousness. In all honesty I have the money, thats not even an issue.

I assumed that you had the money...otherwise considering this purchase would be pointless (unless you were going to rob a bank...or max. out the credit cards)!;)

What would make me want to spend the money is down to what would I get back in return for making that investment. I just sold my gaming PC I had more then 2k in. I just didn't need it anymore.

The new Mac Pro of course is new. And like with any brand new computer model...you're going to pay top dollar for it. It's very possible that purchasing a previous model Mac Pro (at a greatly reduced price)...would offer more value for your money...and still be a big improvement over your current Mac-Mini.:)

Currently my MM does everything I need and does it very well. Lightroom doesn't even use video card processing yet unlike Photoshop. Since most my photography workload is done in Lightroom a good multithreading CPU like the i7 is all I need. Since I installed my Samsung 830 series SSD into my MM, I can go from pushing the power button to desktop in less then 10secs. Photoshop takes 2secs from Icon to using it. Also with huge panorama photos taking in RAW, it doesn't even work a sweat.

Sounds like your Mac-Mini is doing just great for your needs...why even consider a new Mac Pro...and spend a min. of $3000 in the process??

So a Mac Pro would have to offer me something my MM doesn't. Currently, it would be a waste of money. Now take into consideration I got my MM before the iMac refresh. The iMacs at the time had only Ivy Core i5s in them, despite the increased clock speed. Under heavy loads the MM with the i7 would still be a tad faster.. So I went with the MM.

Understandable.:)

I am however very very interested in the new MM refresh due in about 6 or 7 months.. Hoping something faster then whats in the current iMacs, also the Iris Pro iGPU still needs a improvement boost. Though its looking promising. But next refresh I may get a new MM and hand this one down to my daughter who will be turing 9 about that time. Be a great computer for her. Plus MMs are just darn affordable.

Again...with all of these thoughts (Mac-Mini's and iMacs)...why even think about the new Mac Pro?? The new Mac Pro will be head & shoulders better than any new Mac-Mini or iMac release.

It seems to me...a person is either VERY serious about getting a New Pro or not. If a new Mac-Mini or new iMac is being considered...then a new Mac Pro shouldn't even be on the radar.

It's kind of like shopping for a new car. If a person is considering a new Ford Taurus or a new Chevy Impala...they're not also considering a new Lamborghini!;)

Now of course most of my comments are based on facts, figures, and logic. But a lot of times there's the "coolness factor". And it's the coolness factor that many times can "drive" a new computer purchase...which means facts & figures & logic don't always matter!;)

So hey...if you got the $3000+ to purchase a Mac Pro...by all means...PLEASE purchase one!!! Because then at least one member on Mac-Forums will have one...and you can tell us all about it!!!:)

- Nick

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ Nick,
LOL the MP is so cool looking though..

I look at the MP with little different logic. To me its not that its 3k, its 1.8k more then a new mini I will more then likely get and then upgrade. Or get a MP and not have to upgrade. But like I pointed out. I don't need the dual video cards.

The MP does have a coolness factor to it. But one thing I like the most is the size. I like things that come in small packages but perform far more then one would expect. Like C4, small package, big boom. I am just tired of the days were carrying your PC around made you a hernia or back surgery candidate.

But I don't need a MP.. I do however love the Mac Minis so much. I just don't want to see them get treated like red-headed-step-children. A little black anodize and a chrome apple logo on a MM would scream so much coolness. Admit it.. Ya want one too now.. :D

I wonder if you can get those stickers at the Apple store. Were flying to Hong Kong next week for a few days and Apple store is my 2nd stop. First stop is a Canon dealership for new Super Wide Angle Zoom lens for my T3i. Add in a few lens filters and there goes a thousand bucks.. LOL

Gonna see what keyboards they have there also.. Logitech makes a windows keyboard that bluetooth with backlight keys. But I really want a mac version..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I look at the MP with little different logic. To me its not that its 3k, its 1.8k more then a new mini I will more then likely get and then upgrade. Or get a MP and not have to upgrade. But like I pointed out. I don't need the dual video cards.

$3000 is just the starting price...for probabaly a stripped down new Mac Pro!;)

Of course you will never be able to upgrade a Mac-Mini to be anywhere close to the new Mac Pro in performance.

As far as the dual video cards. I betting dual video cards won't be included in the entry level $3000 new Mac Pro. So you won't need to be concerned about that (if you're only interested in the base model new Mac Pro)!;)

The MP does have a coolness factor to it. But one thing I like the most is the size. I like things that come in small packages but perform far more then one would expect. Like C4, small package, big boom.

Yes there is a coolness factor. Personally...if I was thinking about a new Mac Pro purchase...I would wait at least 6 months after release before getting one. I would want the new Mac Pro's cooling system to get some "real world" experience with real users...before feeling good about the cooling systems abilities.

I am just tired of the days were carrying your PC around made you a hernia or back surgery candidate.

Understandable. The old Mac Pro would certainly fit into this category. Of course on the other hand. Once you put a big desktop computer under or on top of it's "home"/desk...how often is it going to be moved?

A little black anodize and a chrome apple logo on a MM would scream so much coolness. Admit it.. Ya want one too now.. :D

Not painted!;) I only buy used Mac's...and I've been that way for about the last 15 years. So when I purchase a used Mac...I want it to look like it did when it was new...and when I sell it...I want it to look like it did when it was brand new (which is what I think other users buying a used Mac want as well). As I mentioned in another thread that's active right now.

- Nick

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thinking about picking on of these up at the Apple store. Its a Logitech keyboard that matches my stuff closer. However I am unsure of availability at the actual store. I been in a few here local, but not looking for keyboards. Anyone else got any experience in this area from buying from physical Apple Store.

Wireless Backlit Keyboard for Mac, iPad, iPhone + Apple TV - Logitech

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thinking about picking on of these up at the Apple store. Its a Logitech keyboard that matches my stuff closer. However I am unsure of availability at the actual store. I been in a few here local, but not looking for keyboards. Anyone else got any experience in this area from buying from physical Apple Store.

Do the Apple Stores in the Philippines stock the same way as US Apple Stores?

Also...don't forget...if it's not an actual Apple product (Logitech in this case)...then you can purchase somewhere other than the Apple Store. Thus...you don't want to pay $99 for this keyboard (if you really want it)...if you can get it for around $77 (or less).

Here's what I found via a very quick search (could be even less somewhere else):

Amazon.com: Logitech Bluetooth Easy-Switch K811 Keyboard for Mac, iPad, iPhone - Silver/Black: Computers & Accessories

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For the $2999 Mac Pro here are the specs:

3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 with 10MB L3 cache and Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

12GB (three 4GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory

Dual AMD FirePro D300 graphics processors with 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM each
1280 stream processors
256-bit-wide memory bus
160GB/s memory bandwidth
2 teraflops performance

256 GB PCIe-based flash storage

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the specs Dennis. I'm surprised to see dual gpu in the base model...and I'm surprised to see only 256gig of storage. But the quad-core cpu makes sense. The turbo boost on the cpu (3.7 to 3.9ghz) seems sort of small...compared to what I've seen on some of the iMacs.

Have you seen any specs yet for higher end new Mac Pro's? Those will be interesting to see...and the prices!;)

- Nick

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the specs Dennis. I'm surprised to see dual gpu in the base model...and I'm surprised to see only 256gig of storage. But the quad-core cpu makes sense. The turbo boost on the cpu (3.7 to 3.9ghz) seems sort of small...compared to what I've seen on some of the iMacs.

Have you seen any specs yet for higher end new Mac Pro's? Those will be interesting to see...and the prices!;)

- Nick

Not sure what all the the Apple store stock here. I know there is a Apple store in Cayagan del Oro to the west of here. About 4 hours from here via bus, actually not that far, but lots of road construction going to CDO. The other is in Davao to the south, solid 8 hours bus ride but smooth roads. I would see that they have, but Apple store or not. The locals are idiots.
Now the big Apple store in Hong Kong should have lots of goodies, I am flying up there in a few days for vacation and to purchase a few Mac and Camera goodies. Hoping it will have the apple stuff I need.
Cant get Amazon stuff shipped here or even Newegg.. Sadly.. Basicly have to depend on the locals. They can get your basic needs, top of the line CPUs, RAM and Good mobs. But mostly basic PC stuff. Gaming gear, bluetooth and top end video cards are out of the question. So Apple ends up being the best place to shop for dependable items.

Now in regards to the Mac Pro. Don't be perturb by the CPU speed. The amount and speed of the on die cache really sets this CPU ahead of the desktop CPUs. Also the flash drive size while small. Is fast and expensive.. Its 2 times faster then modern SSDs and smaller as well. Plus the reason for the base dual video cards is because of the trend for video editing and other floating point extensive programs to utilize the GPUs more and more, thus becoming more powerful then a single video card model with dual CPUs. Apple did the right thing here.

What drives the over all pricing of the Mac Pro is mostly due to the server grade ECC hardware and Fire Pros are not cheap.

I had originally hoped that they would have released a non ECC version with standard Haswell i7 and perhaps regular Radeon video cards. But really this would prob only save $800 off the top of my head in hardware cost.. That said, I expect pricing to eventually drop over the course of a year on these after Apple had recouped much of the production cost of this little jewell. IMHO..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.