• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Favorite Place to Buy Macs?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm getting ready to buy a new MacBook Pro, so am in the process of deciding exactly what and where to get it.
I've bought a lot of electronic gear over the years, including quite a bit of Apple stuff. And, normally Amazon is my first choice vendor, followed by B&H and Apple. As a result I have quite a lot of direct experience with those three, and not a lot with other sources.

So, I am soliciting input on your favorite Mac source (and why, if you choose to share). Since I am USA based the poll choices are USA stores. Feel free to post in the thread comments/recommends on non-USA vendors as well.

Figured this thread may be useful to others, and might prompt me to try someone new.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
"Favorite places to buy Mac's"...Craig's List and e-Bay!;)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Favorite places to buy Mac's"...Craig's List and e-Bay!;)

- Nick

As soon as I saw you had posted I knew what your response would be . . . :D

I guess I should have specified new rather than used Macs, though you could still get either (potentially) from eBay or Craig's List.

EDIT: Updated question

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As soon as I saw you had posted I knew what your response would be . . . :D

Yeah buddy!;)

I guess I should have specified new rather than used Macs, though you could still get either (potentially) from eBay or Craig's List.

Yes I noticed that "loophole" in the question. So I figured it was fair for me to reply (before things were modified).:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For what it's worth. If I was to purchase a newer Mac...I would probably get it from the refurbished section of the Apple online Store.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If it's new, definitely at my local Apple store. I don't care much about saving 50 bucks to buy it online and have to deal with potential returns.
If it's refurbished, Apple's online store...no exceptions.
If it's used, eBay. Craigslist too if given the opportunity to test it before buying.

But, my favorite is definitely at the Apple store. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Apple Store so if anything should go wrong I can exchange it that same day or get it resolved same day
plus I like looking at all the goodies.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's new, definitely at my local Apple store. I don't care much about saving 50 bucks to buy it online and have to deal with potential returns.
If it's refurbished, Apple's online store...no exceptions.
If it's used, eBay. Craigslist too if given the opportunity to test it before buying.

But, my favorite is definitely at the Apple store. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside:)

This is one where I blow hot and cold. I like the idea of supporting local stores and try to buy at least some computer and photo gear locally. But, the savings on a new Mac is more like $100 to $250 than $50 (and even more if you add Apple Care) vs buying on-line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I voted Apple Online, caveat being I only buy refurbished systems anymore. The one new Mac I bought in 2007 was also bought from Apple's online store. If I bought a new Mac, I'd have my Mom buy it though work (Education Discount through Apple Online) and have it sent to my local Apple Store. I bought an iPad from a guy on the local firearms forum (met at firing range) and that went very smoothly as well.
I sell my used stuff on Craigslist as I like cash in hand and hate shipping, dealing with email back-and-forth and sending photos. I did sell a MacBook in here once and it went just fine though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
This is one where I blow hot and cold. I like the idea of supporting local stores and try to buy at least some computer and photo gear locally. But, the savings on a new Mac is more like $100 to $250 than $50 (and even more if you add Apple Care) vs buying on-line.

I stated 50 because that's about all the difference between what I can get after discounts. In most cases, the value of being able to handle returns in person outweighs the slight price reduction after discounts...for me at least. Taxes and shipping not included

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, for our iPads & my rMBPro, I purchased from Apple online, but most recently we bought an iMac locally from MacAuthority located at Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem, just a 10 minute drive for us. The nearest Apple Store is in Greensboro, about 40 minutes away.

MacAuthority is a regional business w/ just 5 stores (most in Tennessee) but seems to be a 'full service' Apple seller and authorized service provider - I'm planning to replace my iPad 2 after the holidays w/ an iPad Air and will likely just buy it there. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I voted for online Apple Store because that is how I bought both of my Macs (so far). But that's mainly because I did not get stock models and sometimes the store doesn't have the exact configuration I want. Although, it would feel great to walk out of the shiny big window Apple Store with a new Mac in my hands. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Apple Refurbs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Never bought a new Mac before, so Craigslist would be my "favorite" place.

But if I was in the market for a new Mac, I'd buy directly from Apple, wouldn't want to deal with a 3rd party retailer.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are some stores I like going to. Apple is one.
Hence, all my Macs, iPhones and iPad have been bought at the local Apple store thus far.
Think all the iPods I've had came from Fry's when they were on sale for a whopping 5-10% off.

I'd consider purchasing from our local MicroCenter if they were having a sale on exactly what I wanted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Apple Store so if anything should go wrong I can exchange it that same day or get it resolved same day
plus I like looking at all the goodies.

This, definitely this..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 5,1 - 2 x 3.46GHz, 128GB; MacPro 1,1 - 2 x 3GHz DC, 32GB; PowerMac 7,3 - 2 x 2GHz PPC, 8GB
For what it's worth. If I was to purchase a newer Mac...I would probably get it from the refurbished section of the Apple online Store.:)

- Nick

I prefer Apple, and this is not a bad suggestion at all. You can find great refurbs from time to time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
On this side of the pond and in France, unless I want an azerty keyboard it needs to come from the U.K. The best bet for that has to be Amazon.co.uk. When I bought our iMac I phoned Amazon and asked what the situation was if it arrived faulty. They said that all I had to do is phone or e-mail them and they would send a replacement. When it arrived it would have a return lable with it. Just repack the faulty iMac, order a courier and return it.

I did have a problem with my order of a NAS box. Ordered a 4 Tb box and a 2 Tb arrived. I phoned them and they were as good as their word above. The replacement arrived a few daze later.. I would recommend them to anyone here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 5,1 - 2 x 3.46GHz, 128GB; MacPro 1,1 - 2 x 3GHz DC, 32GB; PowerMac 7,3 - 2 x 2GHz PPC, 8GB
True, Amazon is also a good source for all kinds of things. I've never had an issue with them, though I have never ordered a computer. That said, I'd have full confidence in Amazon to do so and I have ordered various peripheral devices including a couple of flat panel monitors that went off without a hitch.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I used to order from Amazon quite a bit because I generally found them reliable and their response time to an order was always very fast. However, nowadays I avoid them for any large order - reason: the State of Texas brow beat them into collecting Texas sales tax from on line orders. I try to shop where there is no sales tax collected - at least for large expensive items.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.