Buying First Mac Soon

Reaction score
Hi,

After using Windows all my life, I've decided to switch to Mac to replace my 3 yea old PC because I didn't feel like dealing with Windows 8 and it's huge touch-optimized Metro mess.

I'm currently a junior college student, and I do on the following stuff on my laptop:
- Media Authoring / Content Dev (Adobe Flash)
- Design and Photography (Adobe Fireworks & Photoshop)
- Day-to-day Academic Work
- Programming
- Will sometimes VM/BootCamp on Mac

- No PC Gaming (I have consoles for my gaming fix.)
- No 3D Programs (AutoCAD, etc., so I think I don't need a dedicated GPU?)

I sometimes do light video editing with Vegas, but not professional-level. I also have a second monitor for my large-screen stuff, so no need for 15", optical drive and Ethernet.

From there, I chose to go with the 13" Mid 2012 MBP because of the DIY options (and it fits my budget of $1400 incl. accessories.)

I've also been looking into the 2012/2013 13" rMBP for the portability + better integrated graphics, but:
- Higher price tag ($$$$$)
- Retina support
- Can't upgrade RAM (I was going to rack up to 16GB)
- Not sure about real life performance

Any suggestions?

P.S.: I'm planning to buy this when I visit Hong Kong soon. If I visit the Apple Store there, will I qualify for Education pricing with my current (and foreign) University ID?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
From there, I chose to go with the 13" Mid 2012 MBP because of the DIY options (and it fits my budget of $1400 incl. accessories.)

I've also been looking into the 2012/2013 13" rMBP for the portability + better integrated graphics, but:
- Higher price tag ($$$$$)

Any suggestions?

Two suggestions:

1. If your budget truly is a max. of $1400...then you need to go with your 1st choice.:)
2. Check out the Apple online Stores refurbished section. You may find some better deals there. And you may even be able to "squeeze" in a previous model rMBP.:)

Of course remember that you cannot configure refurbished models. So If you decide to get a model that is not user-upgradeable (ram)...then make sure you get one with the ram you need for now & in the future.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You're smart to do the RAM upgrade yourself to save on money (and you could do HDD too if you want). The retina MBP would be overkill. Your money is better spent on a MBP that is upgrade-able by you so get the best you can afford in that class of Macs.

I 2nd Nick's suggestion of Apple's refurb store. You could take your chances at CL or eBay, but you just never know with those places....

OP
denpaden
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments!

So far, there are two 13" MBP 2012 models, one having the i5 and the i7. Should I be concerned with the difference in clock speed + core? (Computer Architecture was never my strong point. OTL)

Yes, I'm never too sure about CL/eBay, but I find shopping in the gray market to be my best bet aside from the Apple Store/Retailers, since I actually see the product.

Reaction score
quoting from Apple Hong Kong

"Those eligible to purchase from the Apple Store for Education Individuals include faculty, staff, students and parents as follows:

Kindergarten, Primary and secondary schools: Any employee of a public or private kindergarten, primary or secondary schools in Hong Kong is eligible.
University and Polytechnics: Faculty and staff of Universities or Polytechnics in Hong Kong; and students attending, or accepted into Universities or Polytechnics in Hong Kong are eligible to purchase.
University and Polytechnics: Parents purchasing on behalf of their child, who is a student currently attending or accepted into a into a University or Polytechnics in Hong Kong, are eligible to purchase."

Im a junior college student too!Im planning to buy my first MBP at Hong Kong,because of the cheapest price,but can get that education pricing

OP
denpaden
Reaction score
I could try the refurb store, but having it shipped to Manila sounds costly as local customs tax like ****. OTL

Anyway, thanks for the help! I'll be sticking to the 13" 2012 MBPs. Will buy some RAM with it and install them myself when I get to Hong Kong this February. :) So excited to start tinkering with it!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I could try the refurb store, but having it shipped to Manila sounds costly as local customs tax like ****. OTL

Maybe you already checked. But just for the heck of it...I just checked the "Apple Store Philippines" website...and they don't seem to have a refurbished section.:(

- Nick

OP
denpaden
Reaction score
Yep, no refurb here. Plus it's a bit more expensive by around $100 compared to HK/US Apple Stores. Ouch.

Is it safe to assume that a Mac retains its resale value although it's bought off the gray market? Or is the warranty+official retail more worth it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.