Brand New rMBP

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just bought a 13'' retina Macbook Pro and it's amazing. I've had it for 3 days now and have only downloaded a couple apps and uploaded 3 albums onto iTunes.
But when I check how much storage I have it says that I've already used 81 out of 120 GB of storage. I find this very hard to believe considering I just bought the notebook.
Any suggestions as to what might be causing this? I read that it might be from the Mail cache...

Thanks,
M

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But when I check how much storage I have it says that I've already used 81 out of 120 GB of storage.

Any chance you might have gotten the numbers backwards? Instead of 81gig used...it's actually 81gig free (and about 40 gig used)?

Just checking,:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Check what Nick said carefully as 3 albums say using AAC and a couple of apps should not take up 80GB with the OS. Did it come with Mountain Lion or Mavericks?

OP
M
Reaction score
Any chance you might have gotten the numbers backwards? Instead of 81gig used...it's actually 81gig free (and about 40 gig used)?

Just checking,:)

- Nick
Yes I'm sure it's 81 USED because there's 30gigs that are colored yellow and listed as "other", while the other 10 gigs are "movies," "audio," "photos," "apps," and "backups"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well, there is the Software Apple gives you when you purchase a new Mac. That still sounds high for a brand new machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The best way to nail down what is consuming space is to run an analyzer utility on it. Personally, I use WhatSize, though it is not freeware.

Disk Inventory X and Grand Perspective are both freeware, but don't give as much useful information in my opinion.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, there is the Software Apple gives you when you purchase a new Mac. That still sounds high for a brand new machine.

The best way to nail down what is consuming space is to run an analyzer utility on it. Personally, I use WhatSize, though it is not freeware.

Disk Inventory X and Grand Perspective are both freeware, but don't give as much useful information in my opinion.

So I ran Disk Inventory X and it says that i have about 10.7 gigs worth of data in the /private/var/vm folder. "sleepimage" is 8.0 gigs and "swapfile1-2" is about 2gigs.
Can I just delete these?

Reaction score
Yes I'm sure it's 81 USED because there's 30gigs that are colored yellow and listed as "other", while the other 10 gigs are "movies," "audio," "photos," "apps," and "backups"

120gb minus (30 + 10) would be about 80gb free.

Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase of your 13" Pro. I have the same Macbook which I upgraded from an 11" MBA to get and I'm STILL blow away by the screen after many months. Now with Mavericks the battery life and performance is even better. There are few things in life that after you spend a lot of money on them that you are so glad you did later, this is one of them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So I ran Disk Inventory X and it says that i have about 10.7 gigs worth of data in the /private/var/vm folder. "sleepimage" is 8.0 gigs and "swapfile1-2" is about 2gigs.
Can I just delete these?

No. "sleepimage" is the contents of your Mac's memory when it last went into deep sleep (or hibernate). If you have 8GB of RAM, the image will be 8GB.

Swapfile is your computer's virtual memory and needs to be there for OS X to manage memory appropriately for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.