Major issue with mavericks install, please help

Reaction score
So I downloaded the update, I did not do a backup as I really was not bothered if I lost everything and my understanding was you coudl download the OS X anyway.
So I ran the install and instantly get a message

Install failed
OS X could not be installed on your computer
The OS X upgrade could not be started because the disk macintosh HD is damaged and con't be repaired. After your computer restarts, back up your data, erase your disk and try installing again.

Click restart to restart your computer and try installing again.

Now hitting restart just gets me back to the same place. I cant deleate any thing in disk managment as it says the disk cant be dismoutned.
And the HD cant be repaired.

I restarted hit cmd and went through the options that displayed the computer could not verify that i was entitled to download a new copy of OSX.
So then i hit surf the web with safari which is where i am typing this from. The funny part is it kept asking me for a keychain password so something must have worked.

Any ideas? as I really do nothave time to go to an apple store this weekend and need my laptop.
So annoyed with myself that I did not make a back up (Not that im sure it would make any difference)
And more annoyed as I wasnt going to bother at all and just updated out of bordom.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you need a new hard drive before Mavericks will install. I wouldn't fool with it any longer until you replace the drive. The problem you're going to have is that when you replace the old drive with the new one, you'll need an OS X boot disk since you have no backup. Do you by chance have a copy of Snow Leopard?

OP
D
Reaction score
So yes it was the hard drive which had died. Luckily I had insurance with it from PC world (i have done very well out of this in the past) so they have fitted a new hard drive and replaced the main unibody part as i dented it about a year ago. Im pretty happy as it used to annoy the **** out of me every time i saw it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.